4540 Oil filter issue

/ 4540 Oil filter issue #1  

BigBoyinMS

Silver Member
Tractor
'73 MF135 & Montana 4540
What brand and part# oil filters does everyone use? I changed oil a while back and the Carquest filter that came off and the new Wix 51064 that I put back on are made where only about 1 turn (if that) of the threads catch. In fact, I had to push the filter to compress the gasket to get it to catch. Is anyone else seeing this? Or is everyone buying filters from LS?
So far the WIX is holding. I've got about 10-12 hours on it since then.

/ 4540 Oil filter issue #2  
What brand and part# oil filters does everyone use? I changed oil a while back and the Carquest filter that came off and the new Wix 51064 that I put back on are made where only about 1 turn (if that) of the threads catch. In fact, I had to push the filter to compress the gasket to get it to catch. Is anyone else seeing this? Or is everyone buying filters from LS?
So far the WIX is holding. I've got about 10-12 hours on it since then.

Without trying to be TOO smartA$$ about it.

Any chance you left the old gasket on ?
It is SO easy to do, especially with a first filter removal; a) You aren't used to THAT engine b) often times the filter and especially the gasket paint glued on.

With most of the cars/trucks that I have caught my kids doing this with it has led to MASSIVE oil leaks, but I can see it sealing pretty well in some cases.

/ 4540 Oil filter issue
That is a common problem but I checked to be sure. I did find a thread from 2005 or 2006 talking about the same issue but never saw a definite answer.

/ 4540 Oil filter issue #4  
Mitsubishi, Yanmar, or Subaru engine ?
Whichever it is, get the molded in the block engine model number and back reference that.

Don't wanna scare Ya, but a lot of spin on filter heads are female threaded.
The male that you screw the filter onto is basically a pipe nipple (double ended male).
Some half wit could have used an unusually short one on your engine (-:

I would get the vernier out and see how much thread is actually exposed, compare that to whatever car/truck you change the oil on next.
I believe in 3 turns, but that is mostly faith based - based on other engineering.

/ 4540 Oil filter issue
It has the Mitsubishi S4QS.

You have me thinking now. I have to make a parts order sometime and I think I'll order a new factory nipple to compare. I think I'll also look for a nipple with a little extra length but it's an M20 diameter x 1.5mm thread so that may not be an option.
With some of the boneheaded things I have found that the previous owner did I would not doubt it isn't the factory installed nipple.

/ 4540 Oil filter issue #6  
It has the Mitsubishi S4QS.

You have me thinking now. I have to make a parts order sometime and I think I'll order a new factory nipple to compare. I think I'll also look for a nipple with a little extra length but it's an M20 diameter x 1.5mm thread so that may not be an option.
With some of the boneheaded things I have found that the previous owner did I would not doubt it isn't the factory installed nipple.

It COULD happen that such a nipple would get stuck in the filter and be discarded with the filter.
Yeah, I know, I know, they are supposedly staked in, or at least thread locked (loctite'd) in, but could happen.
I would be very Leary of a strategy to use a longer nipple.
If it projects too far into the filter it could cause internal damage, resulting in total internal by-pass. If it merely stops the filter from getting on far enough to compress the gasket, at least you'll know about that fairly quickly (-:

Information nobody asked for (in this thread);
Not knowing which other engines have been used in Montana tractors, or who contract built them, the Kukje HRA1102000A3 filter supposedly cross references to an STP 52808.
This is used on the Kukje built, Cummins designed 4 cyl diesel.
They claim to actually BUILD that engine under patent license from Cummins and their tractors have been painted to order for several OEM brands, including JD.

/ 4540 Oil filter issue #9  
I have an 06 4940C with Misubishi engine.
I"ve been using the WIX filter on it all the time. Mine seems to thread on with about three threads as mentioned earlier.
I"m pretty happy with the WIX filter. I also run synthetic in mine. I posted this quite a while back and I'm really happy with the performance I get with the synthetic. Especially with the hot summers we get down here. The engine runs much cooler.

Cheers.

/ 4540 Oil filter issue #10  
I think the Mitsu S4S is the same engine as we had in our 5740C. I used a NAPA gold 7106 and it seemed to fit properly. I think I remember somewhere about some filters not having enough thread, not truly a nipple issue? Can't find it now.

Brent