Price Check Contemplating a 3940 HST

/ Contemplating a 3940 HST #1  

GWKID

This is my first post here. A local dealer has a 2006, 3940 HST with an original FEL and box scraper, that I am contemplating buying. It has a noticeable knock that the dealer tells me is caused by the fuel injector pump. He claims that the tractor runs fine. It is priced at $8500.

Can anyone give me a ball park value for this model when it is functioning properly. Also can a fuel injector pump cause a constant knocking noise? If so, what would it cost to rebuild the pump?

Thank you for any help you may offer.

/ Contemplating a 3940 HST #2  
Sounds awfully cheap to me.....4WD? how many hours? Kubota dealer?
Tractor dealer?And is he going to warrenty it?

/ Contemplating a 3940 HST
Yes 4WD, It has less than 300 hours, I don't remember the exact number. It will be sold as is. It is on consignment from a private party.

Thank you.

Last edited:
   / Contemplating a 3940 HST #4  
Sold a Farmtrac 390 HST (same as 3940) with 192 hours, new Frey front loader installed for $15000.00 in 2010.The loader was $5000.00. I did warranty it for a year, with zero issues. Sold many new tractors with that 107 cu in motor with no issues.Their as good as any of the major brands. Parts are available through any LS dealer. One would have to wonder on the history of the tractor. Maybe gasoline was run through it.

/ Contemplating a 3940 HST #5  
This is my first post here. A local dealer has a 2006, 3940 HST with an original FEL and box scraper, that I am contemplating buying. It has a noticeable knock that the dealer tells me is caused by the fuel injector pump. He claims that the tractor runs fine. It is priced at $8500.

Can anyone give me a ball park value for this model when it is functioning properly. Also can a fuel injector pump cause a constant knocking noise? If so, what would it cost to rebuild the pump?

Thank you for any help you may offer.

Ask the dealer what it will cost to fix the knock and add that to the price!
If it was me I would walk away from it unless you are a deisel mech. and can do all the work your self!

The dealer quoted $400 to rebuild the injector pump but I cannot be guaranteed that the pump is the only problem. My thought is that it would be worth so much more when fixed, that a reasonable person would fix it to get a higher price, unless there are other expensive problems.

It is beginning to sound like a white elephant.

Thank you all for your input.

/ Contemplating a 3940 HST #7  
The dealer quoted $400 to rebuild the injector pump but I cannot be guaranteed that the pump is the only problem. My thought is that it would be worth so much more when fixed, that a reasonable person would fix it to get a higher price, unless there are other expensive problems.

It is beginning to sound like a white elephant.

Thank you all for your input.

Well tell the dealer that if he fixes the pump and the noise is gone you will pay him the extra $400 for the tractor. If he doesn't go for that them you are probable right.

Well tell the dealer that if he fixes the pump and the noise is gone you will pay him the extra $400 for the tractor. If he doesn't go for that them you are probable right.

The tractor is on consignment, the dealer won't repair it until someone pony's up the $400, and, the owner doesn't want ot invest any more money into it. So, he gets to keep it.

/ Contemplating a 3940 HST #9  
Oh yea you did say that before. If the owner doesn't want to spend that much then he probably has spent to much already. Bye bye!