4340c ... stopped like you shut the key off...

/ 4340c ... stopped like you shut the key off... #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
The 4340c just shut down like you shut the key off ... had the hay cutter on it and the grandson was cutting ... she just quit.

I topped off the fuel, primed the pump on the filter ... it fired and ran about 10 seconds and died ... so I'm thinking fuel filter is bad.

Today I replaced the fuel filter and still she won't fire up and run ... perhaps the key switch is bad?

Anyone got any ideas how to jump the switch to bypass the key to see if it starts ... then if need be I can order a new switch.

/ 4340c ... stopped like you shut the key off...
Its running ... the service manual suggested using air pressure on the inlet side of the filter to clean the primer pump ... and my neighbor suggested a rag soaked in gas and wring it out so there are only fumes ... hold it over the breather and she will crank and hold prime.

It did ... started right up and is running fine.

/ 4340c ... stopped like you shut the key off... #3  
did a odd light pop up in the dash when it died? the fuel filter has a water sensor in the bottom; if you dont drain it occasionally that it will turn off the engine

/ 4340c ... stopped like you shut the key off... #4  
Your fuel system could need to be bled of air, it should tell you how in your manual. That would be an inexpensive way to start.

did a odd light pop up in the dash when it died? the fuel filter has a water sensor in the bottom; if you dont drain it occasionally that it will turn off the engine

Not that I know of ... the grandson son was driving.

Your fuel system could need to be bled of air, it should tell you how in your manual. That would be an inexpensive way to start.

It definatly needed that ... I changed the filter thinking that was the problem. I was unable to prime the system with the hand pump ... the service manual stated that the primer pump may be dirty and to clean it remove the inlet fuel line and apply pressured air ... I did. Then the prime worked perfec pushing fuel out of the filter valve which in turn allowed fuel to come out of the injector lines. The gas rag cranked it and its running fine...so in conclusion the filter was bad.

Things don't usually get past me. My records showed that is the OEM filter with 1300 plus hrs ... guess I got my use out of that filter.

/ 4340c ... stopped like you shut the key off... #7  
blueriver
I'm having similar issues ... Did you have to bleed at the injectors or the injector pump to get it primed ? I think the manual is full of it when it talks about changing the fuel filter as it does not prime the way they descrbe.
ak9

blueriver
I'm having similar issues ... Did you have to bleed at the injectors or the injector pump to get it primed ? I think the manual is full of it when it talks about changing the fuel filter as it does not prime the way they descrbe.
ak9

Well when I primed I could not get any fuel coming out the bleeder on the top of the filter assembly ... I have the service manual and it stated the primer pump itself may be dirty ... remove the inlet side fuel line, open the bleeder valve and apply pressurized air, I did that and was able to get fuel thru the bleeder screw. I could see trash coming out. Then I cracked the line closest to the radiator and turn the motor over a little....tightened the line

I poured gas on a rag and wrang it out good, removed the cover of the air filter (leave the filter in)... held the rag on there and had my grandson turn it over ... poped right off and have not had an issue.

Be very carefull so the system doesn't suck the rag in and the very second it fires up remove the rag ... if you don't she will rev very high from the gas fumes and not good!!

Let me know how you come out.

I wasn't driving ... the grandson said no lights. But then again would he have seen it?

/ 4340c ... stopped like you shut the key off... #10  
blueriver
I was able to prime it fairly easily the day after I changed the filter @ 800 hrs.
Here is what worked for me .I plugged the incoming fuel line off @ the filter & I was able to capture the fuel out of the drain on the bottom of the filter before spinning off the old one I unplugged the water sensor on the bottom of the filter .I then R/R the water sensor to the new filter oiling the gaskets first .Then inspected the filter housing for crud and spun the new filter tight by hand. Then conected the water sensor plug and incomming fuel line.Then opened the fuel filter bleeder and pumped 7 + times untill no air in fuel and closed the bleeder.Now here is where I think the manuals need inproved and where I lost prime.When the filter swap is done a little air is "trapped" in the injector pump side fuel line at the fuel filter housing and this is where I lost prime.No big deal... except the manuals don't detail the primeing of the injector pump well at all.
SO to prime the injector pump I found the bleeder on the the side of it (books don't show it ) and these injector pumps have a solenoid o/f valve ignition switched . So I turned the ignition on with out cranking engine. then I pumped up the prime bulb on the the fuel filter 3 pumps, cracked open the bleeder on the injector pump while capturing fuel /air mix in a bottle ,pumped the prime pump on the filter a few more untill no air in fuel. Then closed the bleeder on injector pump. Then Cranked the the tractor for second or two and fired up and ran smooth . I was glad I changed My F/F at 800 hrs ( this was the first change) it seemed to be right on time befor it got too dirty.
ak9