5740C 3-point wont lower

/ 5740C 3-point wont lower #1  

Tkranch

Tractor
5740c
It seems completely free at the top 30 degrees of travel and seems to rest mechanically at the working top end of travel. Have tried every valve configuration possible. These top arms are free. You can raise them and drop them against a hard stop that is near the top end of travel. Messed with the flow control valve under the seat with no luck. Have read about the piston coming out of the cylinder on the upper arms. Is that possible? Isn't that a major design flaw to allow that condition? Any advice is appreciated. Bought this tractor used with low hours and in great condition. Thanks

/ 5740C 3-point wont lower #2  
I had a similar situation with my 2740 a couple of years ago. I backed over a dirt pile with the box blade up which apparently pushed the 3pt. arms up past their normal travel range. The 3pt. would not lower, and the front end loader went up regardless of the control position. Sounded like the entire hydraulic system went into overload (relief) mode. Finally called the dealer, who came out and had it fixed in about 10 minutes. He loosened what looked like a bolt but actually was a plug under the right side of the seat and bled out some hydraulic fluid. He said he had never seen that happen before, and if it happens again to let him know. No more problems 250 hours later. Don't know whether there is a similarity with your 5740, but hope your problem is as simple....Dan.

/ 5740C 3-point wont lower
We removed the safety cap and reinstalled. Removed the draft valve (under the seat adjustment everyone recommends) and verified that is is good. Not sure what to de next. It makes sense that something is wrong inside the three point mechanism. I have read that a piston can come out of the cylinder on the actuator. That is a major design issue with these tractors and will probably make us change shades of green. This Montana has been a real disappointment.

Removed the 3point hydraulic top end today and discovered that a small retaining bolt that holds the wrist pin to the power arm was missing. This in turn allowed the wrist pin to fall out and release the piston rod from the power arm. The rod is not connected to the piston by design and the piston pushed out the bottom of the cylinder. All of the parts were sitting on top of the pto gears with the exception of the small bolt which is probably in the bottom of the case. Couldn't find it with a telescopic magnet. The bolt, wrist pin/bushing, rod and a piston o-ring were all damaged by either use while coming apart or the pto gears grinding against them. Replacement parts are around $30 +shipping and it took about an hour and a half to remove the top end. My first time working on a tractor but I'm a fair "hack" mechanic. Just take your time if you ever attempt this. Parts should be here in a week or so. I'll try to get some pic's with this post.

Additional info on this problem. The tractor was purchased used with about 900 hours last spring. We never attempted to use the 3 point until a month ago when this problem was discovered. It was probably sold like this and because of this problem. The seller did tell us that he had recently flushed and replaced the hydraulic fluid which may have allowed a lot of the shavings and possible the missing bolt to exit the case. There were very few shavings picked up by the magnet and the wrist pin was extensively damaged by the pto gears. The gears show no signs damage but I would caution anyone that has a similar symptom to not delay the repair.

top end.jpg The top end removed. This assembly is easily over a hundred pounds so watch your fingers. I was able to access and remove a couple hydraulic lines and all of the bolts after the seat was out and the rear fixed point assembly removed. the hardest part is removing the 3 point lift control lever linkage.

Last edited:
power arm.jpg The threaded hole on the power arm is where the small retaining bolt worked its way out and allowed the wrist pin to come out of the arm. There was moderate gaulling to the connecting rod and no sign of the bushing that buffers the wrist pin/rod.

wrist pin.jpg wrist pin damage. Most of the tab that is fastened by the retaining screw to the power arm is missing.

Last edited:
rod.jpg Damaged connecting rod.

Last edited:
I will probably not have this put back together for a couple weeks if anyone would like pictures of anything that is exposed from this repair. The manuals have not been very helpful and do not describe this upper hydraulic assembly or the 3 point mechanics very well. (that's being polite)

Last edited: