5740 Noise

/ 5740 Noise #1  

dry_creek_farm

Tractor
2007 Montana 5740C and 1942 Farmall Model M - Wide Front
I've been noticing a knocking sound from the engine lately. 240 hours on the machine and this noise seems to have picked up over the past 10 hours or so. Without another Mitsubishi s4s engine to compare the sound to, I'm not sure if it's normal or in my head.

Attached is a video taken last night. I know it's hard to hear from video but if anyone can chime in with advice it would be appreciated.

/ 5740 Noise #2  
I'm hoping to resurrect this thread. Need help with noise of s4s engine in this tractor. Some videos I've watched make it seem like these engine have more clatter than Im used too. Anyone notice this? Timing pretty advanced?

I recently purchased a 2007 5740c. It was advertised as a parts tractor. Well the trans was stuck in 3 gear. Found out it was a common problem thanks to this forum. Easy fix.

Main issue: tractor had a cracked cylinderhead. Got that re welded and installed. There seems to be a more of a knock in the right rear of motor now. I've checked for exhaust leaks over and over again! It sounds bad to my ears. Not quite like diesel knock. Almost like a rod. Goes away when warm, so I don't think it's a bearing. (Had an oil sample sent it, looked ok, also tore oil filter apart. Looked really clean.) Also tied in oil pressure gauge. Oil temp 200F, and I have 20 psi at idle, and 50 at 1500. All in spec.

Do I have piston slap? Normal character of engine? Pretty hard to diag without hearing it, but just curious if others have felt this.