How may here would buy a 5740(first time or again)?

/ How may here would buy a 5740(first time or again)? #1  

clayhardock

Tractor
JD 2720 & 2305 & F932
I need a 50hp tractor to run a 7-8foot mower for my small grass cutting business. The tractor will do double duty on my small 4 acre property, snow removal, move stuff around(pallet forks), etc.

I'm looking at a 5740c and a kubota L5450. Both are $18K. The Montana is 10years newer, has cab and AC and a bigger loader. The Kubota L5450 has a rep as being one of the best Kubotas ever built whereas from reading on here it seems like the Montana has lots of shuttle, electrical and hydraulic issues. Nearest LS dealer is 2hrs away, I have two Kubota dealers within 30min.

My grass company isn't huge, I run it as a side job on the weekends but some sights are over 2.5 hours away, long way to be if the tractor goes down and you need to go home and come back a 2nd day.

So? Just how bad is the 5740?

/ How may here would buy a 5740(first time or again)? #2  
To me, you answered your question with sufficient cons for the 5740 to decide me on the Kubota. I know nothing of the 5740 but trust the TBN posts when it comes to reporting problems. I'd take the most recent 100 posts for both tractors and compute the number of problem reports for each along with their severity. Likely this would be a clear indicator.

/ How may here would buy a 5740(first time or again)? #3  
I need a 50hp tractor to run a 7-8foot mower for my small grass cutting business. The tractor will do double duty on my small 4 acre property, snow removal, move stuff around(pallet forks), etc.

I'm looking at a 5740c and a kubota L5450. Both are $18K. The Montana is 10years newer, has cab and AC and a bigger loader. The Kubota L5450 has a rep as being one of the best Kubotas ever built whereas from reading on here it seems like the Montana has lots of shuttle, electrical and hydraulic issues. Nearest LS dealer is 2hrs away, I have two Kubota dealers within 30min.

My grass company isn't huge, I run it as a side job on the weekends but some sights are over 2.5 hours away, long way to be if the tractor goes down and you need to go home and come back a 2nd day.

So? Just how bad is the 5740?

Not trying to beat you up but just asking ! Your saying Montana is 10 yrs newer and cab w/ac. What are condition and hours on both machines ? I bleed Bota orange but cab w/ac and newer machine something to consider.

Boone

/ How may here would buy a 5740(first time or again)?
Thats exactly my dilema! 10years and cab/AC is hard to ignore. Personally I have strong leanings towards JD because the local dealer has treated me so well and has always been able to provide parts for my 20+year old front deck mower. Unfortunately the price tag on a used JD 60hp tractor with cab/AC is into the $30K range.

Thats one of my big hangups about the Montana, how easy is it to get parts? I think maybe I need to call the local(ish) Montana(or LS now) dealer and see what they are like.

1100hrs on the Kubota and 268hrs on the Montana. Funny thing is I'd actually feel better about the Montana if it had more hours on it. Seems like a lot of the problems show up around 500hrs. Both look to be in good condition, I havn't seen them in person but the Montana looks brand new in the pics. The Kubota looks in good shape, the loader paint is faded like it was stored outside. I'll be checking the hoses for cracks if I go to see it.

/ How may here would buy a 5740(first time or again)? #5  
Thats exactly my dilema! 10years and cab/AC is hard to ignore. Personally I have strong leanings towards JD because the local dealer has treated me so well and has always been able to provide parts for my 20+year old front deck mower. Unfortunately the price tag on a used JD 60hp tractor with cab/AC is into the $30K range.

Thats one of my big hangups about the Montana, how easy is it to get parts? I think maybe I need to call the local(ish) Montana(or LS now) dealer and see what they are like.

1100hrs on the Kubota and 268hrs on the Montana. Funny thing is I'd actually feel better about the Montana if it had more hours on it. Seems like a lot of the problems show up around 500hrs. Both look to be in good condition, I havn't seen them in person but the Montana looks brand new in the pics. The Kubota looks in good shape, the loader paint is faded like it was stored outside. I'll be checking the hoses for cracks if I go to see it.

Just some info for you. Futureag, the CaseIH dealer sell montanas in the Case colors but they are the same tractor so they would be a parts sorce if needed.

/ How may here would buy a 5740(first time or again)? #6  
That hardly seems worth comparing. A slightly used fairly new LS (Montana badged) with heat and air cab compared to a 12+ year old Kubota with 1100 hours without a cab for same price. Go with the Montana. IF it had any problems, likely they have been fixed and should run for years. Just check that the local LS dealer knows the right LS model to order parts for it. Since Montana has not been sold for around 2 years, I would guess that this tractor is at least that old and the Kubota is 10 years older than the Montana, so minimum 2000 model year Kubota vs 2009-2010 Montana. How say you?

/ How may here would buy a 5740(first time or again)? #7  
I have a 5740 as well as some other tractors: A cab Kioti DK65, IH 1086 (cab), as well as my diehard Ford 5000 and JD 3010. The 5740 only has 300 hrs, but has given me zero problems. I had a couple of zerks that had to be replaced, but that was on the Kyoker loader. The Montana is perfect for most jobs, comfortable, and always starts, doesn't leak a drop, and I love it. About the same money as you were talking about is what I paid and it's my best investment. My older American tractors, I just love them, but there is always something leaking, wires not working, etc......I just love the slice of history that they represent. If I just need to load up a trailer with round bales, the 5740 is perfect, and for delivering those rolls at horse farms down tight lanes, the size is just right. For some reason, I always pack my hay barn a little too much on the last cutting, and the 5740 is the only tractor that will fit in some spots to unstack the round bales when I do that.

I actually bought it for other family members to run while I was on one of the bigger tractors, but so far, it's the handiest thing for most jobs, for me. Yes, I know that thousands of hours later, there will be problems, but I think it's the best $ I spent. Also love the Kioti, but paid quite a bit more, although way less than the most well known orange brand.

Everybody has different experiences: My only new purchase of Kubota was a ZD28 diesel zero turn that is going to be very, very expensive to fix (hydrostatic design) after only 1000 hrs of easy use on pretty level ground. Still, I know they make great products, which is why I bought it in the first place.......but I should have looked closer at that less-modular design in the pump section first.