5740 Shift Linkage

/ 5740 Shift Linkage #1  

tdmaysville

Tractor
Montana
Got a 5740 that is struck in gear. Anybody got a picture or illustration of what the linkage should look like? Or any other ideas?

/ 5740 Shift Linkage #2  
I have had a "stiff" shifting linkage for several years now on my 5740C. It usually is a problem from 2nd to 3rd, and just two days ago, my linkage got completely stuck and wouldn't shift at all. I kept the clutch pushed in and just worked it for a while until it freed itself up and it shifted fine again. I think I'll have to lube the linkage though this coming weekend.I don't want that happening again. Hope by now yours is working again too.

/ 5740 Shift Linkage
I wish Unclebuck. Could I ask a favor? Maybe snap a pic of the linkage at the bottom. the square area where the linkages ride.
Will post email addy if you can.

/ 5740 Shift Linkage #4  
I'll be glad to do that but didn't you get a manual with yours? I believe there's a drawing in there if I'm not mistaken. Of course I also know all too well how that supposed manual reads and looks like it was written by a drunk Korean on drugs!! LOL!

If you don't mind, my son in law is the head diesel mechanic for a company and works in the oil patch. He doesn't come home every weekend so if he comes home this weekend I'll get it done for you. If he doesn't, I'll wait until next weekend to do it for you as I am very good at some things, but being a mechanic is not one of them. He probably will be able to give me some helpful insights for you too. I'm not in here everyday, but I'll check back in here on this Sunday.

/ 5740 Shift Linkage
Thanks you sir, next weekend is fine. Won't be home this week myself.

Illustration is so small, it's hard to tell what actually goes where.

It appears that both linkages need to "slip over" the bottom square part of the shifter, Only one is on on mine the other is just kinda hanging in air.

/ 5740 Shift Linkage #6  
OK.. I'll get back in here and let you know I got the photos. Please PM me your e-mail addy as I'll e-mail them to you.

/ 5740 Shift Linkage #9  
Sorry tdmaysville, but my son in law still hasn't been back in town to do what I asked him to do for you. In the interim, my water pump on my 5740C went out on me and I couldn't believe what Montana wanted for that thing. $700.00 for a water pump, plus shipping. Ordered direct from Mitsubishi it's only $400.00 with shipping! Got to get that ordered in and will have to have it put on by a friend. Son in law won't be around to help with that either. BTW, the water pump on the 5740 engine is directly behind the fan, so the fan, radiator etc has all got to be taken off to do the job. As soon as he does get back, I'll address the situation you and I discussed.

/ 5740 Shift Linkage
UncleBuck thanks for keeping me in mind, but I finally fixed it. Took the linkage loose, shifter loose and put it all back together. Seems the shifter had slipped, misaligning the linkage.
Thanks again for the help. Sounds like its your turn for some fun.