what a pita

/ what a pita #1  

bluewatermassey

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1973 MF 20 ind 1968 MF135 1969 Cockshutt 1450, Alis chalmers 1950 wd & 1957 wd45, 2009 Montana u4384c LS built (u5020c)
Just did a oil change on my 2009 u4384c.
Would love to find the moron that designed this setup.
Qil plugs (there are two of them as the front drive shaft goes through the middle of the oil pan) are directly above a cross member for the loader and you can't get a drip pan in there between them so oil splashes all over the place.
The oil filter is located on the right side of the motor dead centre\right behind the loader frame main support
directly above the tractor frame and right below heater hoses and hyd lines and just behind the hyd pump.
Can't get any kind of a filter wrench in there and i own lots of different types from metal strap fabric strap one one that fits on the top of the filter looks like a big socket.
Can't even drive a screw driver through it an twist it off as there no room to turn it. (red neck style)
Finally got my arm twisted around a lot and using a rag managed to turn it enough to loosen off the filter.
Now that I got it off of the threads and oil splashed all down the side of the block how do you get it out of there.
Won't drop st8 down frame in the way.
Towards the front there is a hyd pump is right there.
Up has hyd lines in the way and the exhaust manifold.
Back the loader frame and cab spacing is to narrow.
Finally managed to wiggle it around the hoses and electical wiring up n back then up n over then up past the exhaust n muffler and the out past the top of the motor.
Took about another 1/2 hr to figure this route out of there.
Replacement filter went back in about the same way.
Then had to tighten oil filter back on.
As it didn't leak I must of got it tight enough but its hard to get torque on it with your arms twisted in unnatural ways
Whole oil change and grease job took me 3 hrs and lots of cuss words.
Did my massey 20 and cockshutt 1450 afterwards and they both only took me 45 min and the massey is a back hoe loader with about 400 grease fittings.
You would think in today's world they could have done a better job in planning the layout.
Yes I know its a Mitsubishi motor they out sourced but they could have relocated the
two oil plugs.
They could have been moved 2 inches forward and there's still another 6 in of oil pan there to place them would give a clear shot to the drain pan.
And the left side of the motor has a least 2 sq ft of open space to place the oil filter or they could have installed a remote oil filter setup.
I'll be looking into installing one of these in the future as I've used them before on a few hot rods.
It's no wonder the dealer charges so much to do this regular maintance job.
Don't get me wrong I love my montana tractor its the nicest one I've ever driven and I've driven and worked a lot of them.
Test drove even more.
But now that it's out of warranty I'll be doing my own repairs and maintance work. :mad:
Will also post on LS forum.
Will be doing the hyd filter n fluid change then the fuel filter next week .
Heard fuel filter is a pita as well but at least it and the hyd filters are easy to get at.