Problems with Montana 5740 stuck in 1 or 2nd gear

/ Problems with Montana 5740 stuck in 1 or 2nd gear #1  

southwinds

Tractor
Montana 5740
Hope someone has run into this - My Montana 5740 is stuck in either 1 or 2 and I can't get it to shift. When I push on shift lever too hard it slips out of mechanism. Clutch appears to be working. Any ideas ?

Thanks

/ Problems with Montana 5740 stuck in 1 or 2nd gear #2  
:welcome:
To the forum. Can't help as never seen that machine before. Someone here probably will be able to.

/ Problems with Montana 5740 stuck in 1 or 2nd gear #3  
   / Problems with Montana 5740 stuck in 1 or 2nd gear #4  
Yeah, my 2005 5740C has done that a number of times now. Mine usually gets stuck and I either have to gently work it out or get under it and free up linkage. Mine usually happens when I'm trying toshift from 2nd to 3rd gear, and whamo, it's stuck. Hasn't done it now in several months but the last time I couldn't just gently work it out and had to get under it and free linkage, so to speak.

/ Problems with Montana 5740 stuck in 1 or 2nd gear #5  
My 5740C is doing this now more often, getting gears stuck when I shift from 2nd to 3rd. At that point my tractor then gets stuck in 2nd gear until I get under it and free up the linkage. My son in law, a diesel mechanic was in town this weekend and told me that it's due to wear, but not near bad enough to warrant taking it apart and fixing anything. He suggested to me that when I shift from 2nd to 3rd that I take my shift lever stick to neutral first and then take shift lever stick all the way over to the right and then up into 3rd, rather than going straight from second to thind as I have been doing since tractor was new. I'll try that and see if it helps as gfetting jammed in 2nd gear is getting annoyiong now. Again, it's a quick fix to get the linkage unjammed but it's becoming a real PITA.

/ Problems with Montana 5740 stuck in 1 or 2nd gear #6  
My 5740C is doing this now more often, getting gears stuck when I shift from 2nd to 3rd. At that point my tractor then gets stuck in 2nd gear until I get under it and free up the linkage. My son in law, a diesel mechanic was in town this weekend and told me that it's due to wear, but not near bad enough to warrant taking it apart and fixing anything. He suggested to me that when I shift from 2nd to 3rd that I take my shift lever stick to neutral first and then take shift lever stick all the way over to the right and then up into 3rd, rather than going straight from second to thind as I have been doing since tractor was new. I'll try that and see if it helps as gfetting jammed in 2nd gear is getting annoyiong now. Again, it's a quick fix to get the linkage unjammed but it's becoming a real PITA.
My manual for my LS has a warning not to shift the way you were but to shift the way your son in law does. It doesn't say why not to do it that way but now I know.

/ Problems with Montana 5740 stuck in 1 or 2nd gear #7  
Thanks Ozley. My original manual has no such warning about shifting, but I can assure you that now I go to neutral from 2nd and then into 3rd gear, after SLOWLY moving gear shilt stick all the way over to the right and then up into 3rd gear.

/ Problems with Montana 5740 stuck in 1 or 2nd gear #8  
Good morning, hope I don't experience the gear box problem. I purchase my 2007 Montana 5740C this pass Spring. So far I'm happy with it, it has 261 hours. Just wondering at what hours did they had gear shifting problems. Any updates this year. I will be doing my 1st service at 300 hours. Looking forward on updates. Thanks.

/ Problems with Montana 5740 stuck in 1 or 2nd gear #9  
fbjr, I'd say the shifting problems started about 4 years ago. My 5740C was bought in 2005 by me brand new. The shifting problem started about 350 hours, I believe. BTW, an easier way to fix the hung up linkage is to take a piece if PCV pipe about 3 feet long and slide it in from the right side step to where the linkage is and push the linkage off the hang-up point and free it.