Montana R3644 shifting question

/ Montana R3644 shifting question #1  

ken2step

Tractor
R3644
I have the sliding gear, synch shuttle transmission that has the 12 forward and reverse gears. The problem is that it shifts really hard between forward and reverse (not the different gears) and actually got stuck in forward the last time I used it. I can't find a service manual yet online either. If anyone here owns this model and has similar problem, how did you resolve? I can't even find a transmission dip stick to check fluid.

I live in the Wichita, Kansas area. In the past forums have always been great for finding solutions and I hope this problem can be solved here as well!

cheers,
Ken

/ Montana R3644 shifting question #2  
I can't help you, I'm still learning mine. I just got it a month or so ago. I do know some of their models are the same as the Bobcat tractors and some Kioti's. If you could find a similar model that might help.

/ Montana R3644 shifting question
Thanks for the reply Milligig. I'll keep checking around my area but was hoping to find a service manual or someone that has had similar problem.

cheers,
Ken

Thanks again Milligig! I will give them a call today and see if they can help me.

cheers,
Ken

/ Montana R3644 shifting question #6  
Any luck? I'm curious because they told me there would be no problems with getting parts, etc.

I did not get time to call them yesterday. But I will sometime and for sure let you know what I found out! Did find a parts list which had exploded drawings. http://www.montana-tractors.com/files/Montana_Parts_S_R2844_3644_HST.pdf

On page 49 of the pdf file I found the drawing of the shifter going into the tranny. Also found what looks like the dip stick to check levels on page 31. So with all that and talking to a mechanic we are getting some ideas. Won't have time to check out his recommendations till first of next week. I'll report back any findings next week on that as well.

cheers,
Ken

/ Montana R3644 shifting question #8  
I have the sliding gear, synch shuttle transmission that has the 12 forward and reverse gears. The problem is that it shifts really hard between forward and reverse (not the different gears) and actually got stuck in forward the last time I used it. I can't find a service manual yet online either. If anyone here owns this model and has similar problem, how did you resolve? I can't even find a transmission dip stick to check fluid.

I live in the Wichita, Kansas area. In the past forums have always been great for finding solutions and I hope this problem can be solved here as well!

cheers,
Ken

Hi,
Just curious if you were able to track down the R3644 Service Manual? I haven't either. PartsforMontanaTractors.com has some service manuals to download for the 3040 or 3840, etc... but not the R3644. Any luck? I am wondering if the 3840 would be "close enough" detailed to use as the Service Manual for the R3644.... ughhh

/ Montana R3644 shifting question #9  
I can't help you, I'm still learning mine. I just got it a month or so ago. I do know some of their models are the same as the Bobcat tractors and some Kioti's. If you could find a similar model that might help.
it's not Bobcat it's LS tractors you should be able to get parts from LS.

/ Montana R3644 shifting question #10  
Talked to LS Tractors a bit about my Montana since they were made by same manufacturer. Guy was very helpful and said the Montana R3644 was basically Replaced by the LS i3030/3040, then that evolved to the LS R series R3039 and now is replaced by the new models meeting Teir 4 emissions I think that line is the XR....

That being the case I will hunt down an LS R3039 service manual since the Montana Service manual is impossible to find and if it is written anything like their Owners Manual, it would be a waste of money.

Also found that the Montana R3644 means, a little.... R is the model line (don't know exactly the line details), the next two numbers are the HP rating give or take a couple HP (for some reason), then the first 4 indicates 4WD, and didn't find out what the last 4 implied.... still a mystery. Anyone know?
Thanks