Broken Drive Shaft - Design Flaw Warning!!

/ Broken Drive Shaft - Design Flaw Warning!! #1  

Klorinth

Silver Member
Tractor
Montana T2334 HST
Morning All,

So my T2334 drive shaft from the engine to the HST has broken... No drive shaft means she sits in the pasture unable to move.

After a bit of searching I found multiple discussions in the TYM forum about this problem. According to them it is a flaw in the design of the shaft. TYM has upgraded the shaft twice to correct the problem. The shaft now uses U-Joints because of the slight angle from the engine to the HST which adds extra strain on the shaft/HST connection. Sounds like it is the splines that eventually break which can lead to a very expensive repair to replace the HST stub.

I will try to get a few pictures once I take the shaft out. It is going to be ackward to do though. May require cutting a hole in the floor. Or cutting the shaft in half.

Anyone have suggestions on where I might get a new shaft???

/ Broken Drive Shaft - Design Flaw Warning!!
Diamond R said they have one they can ship.

So I opened up the tractor and pulled out the shaft. The snap rings were a real pain to get off. Took longer to do that then anything else. Hate those things.

Cut hole in the floor.

Remove snap rings.

Pop out the ball bearings.

Slide the spline sleeves back and out it comes.

So it looks like the rough start was causing the balls and splines to bang constantly. Half of the splines are worn off. Not broken. Prices of the shaft have broken against the ball bearings. The splines are worn only on the HST side not the engine side.

Very frustrating that this has happened.

Attachments

• image-1336233544.jpg
    image-1336233544.jpg
    631.8 KB · Views: 416
  • image-2778671371.jpg
    image-2778671371.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 541
  • image-3857369665.jpg
    image-3857369665.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 765
  • image-2284845735.jpg
    image-2284845735.jpg
    607.1 KB · Views: 554
  • image-1637916981.jpg
    image-1637916981.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 391
   / Broken Drive Shaft - Design Flaw Warning!! #4  
Diamond R said they have one they can ship.

So I opened up the tractor and pulled out the shaft. The snap rings were a real pain to get off. Took longer to do that then anything else. Hate those things.

Cut hole in the floor.

Remove snap rings.

Pop out the ball bearings.

Slide the spline sleeves back and out it comes.

So it looks like the rough start was causing the balls and splines to bang constantly. Half of the splines are worn off. Not broken. Prices of the shaft have broken against the ball bearings. The splines are worn only on the HST side not the engine side.

Very frustrating that this has happened.
Youre either going to have to replace that trans input spline, or else do something very special to prevent any more of the motion that caused that wear. ... Preferably both.

/ Broken Drive Shaft - Design Flaw Warning!! #5  
I am no expert so I would get a second opinion before following this advice
The spline that has worn is the one that has been sliding when there is movement between engine and HST you might get a bit more life out of that spline if you locked it up with plastic metal/locktight etc as long as you allowed the spline at the other end to take up the movement There are some very good speciality lubes available for the spline that you allow to move I have chopped out lots of splines on my Yamaha ATV regular lube with the right lube has extend the life of the splines compared to assembled dry or even using standard grease

/ Broken Drive Shaft - Design Flaw Warning!! #6  
Your splines are just fine. The new shaft can slide up farther than than the old one and it is held tight to the output shaft with locking bolts on both ends. The two bolts don't come with the shaft but can be picked up at a auto parts store.

/ Broken Drive Shaft - Design Flaw Warning!! #7  
Your splines are just fine. The new shaft can slide up farther than than the old one and it is held tight to the output shaft with locking bolts on both ends. The two bolts don't come with the shaft but can be picked up at a auto parts store.
Thats trans input. Reduced wear area ... wobble issue ... much faster 2nd failure.

/ Broken Drive Shaft - Design Flaw Warning!! #8  
Thats trans input. Reduced wear area ... wobble issue ... much faster 2nd failure.

The old shaft would wobble as it was loose on the trans shaft and the pump shaft. The new design clamps tight on both ends and does not slide or wobble.

/ Broken Drive Shaft - Design Flaw Warning!! #9  
The old shaft would wobble as it was loose on the trans shaft and the pump shaft. The new design clamps tight on both ends and does not slide or wobble.
Sounds good. Is the engine mounted rigid wrt trans to preclude thrust issues?

/ Broken Drive Shaft - Design Flaw Warning!! #10  
Sounds good. Is the engine mounted rigid wrt trans to preclude thrust issues?

No. These tractors have a lot of frame twist, but the new shaft has U-joints on both ends and it is made in two parts that slide together giving it about three inches of forward and backward motion. This is the way it should have been designed the first time.