5740 4x4 problems

/ 5740 4x4 problems #1  

Rory Sr

Tractor
Montana 5740
I have A 2008 5740 everything was working fine, then I went to use it the other day and my 4x4 will not enguage, i checked the links it seems to be in the right position. Anyone have suggestions or had this problem. If so you can email me at rmcdade62@yahoo.com
Thank You

Rory Sr.

/ 5740 4x4 problems #2  
Not sure what you mean by "will not engage". Does that mean the mechanism by which you shift in and out of 4WD doesn't function, or is that part working well enough but the front axle just won't drive? I suspect it's the latter.
The most common failure would be something related to a driveline coupler. Usually the front one. Some are held in position with roll pins, others with snap rings. Also a good spot for spline wear/damage from misalignment. I have repaired two such cases in just the last three weeks. The problem stems from worn parts in the front axle pivot/bushing area, caused mainly by neglecting to grease the pivots periodically.

/ 5740 4x4 problems #3  
Rory,

I have had the 4X4 lever on my 2005 5740C be so hard to either shift into, or out of, 4X4 that I had to wait until I got back to the barn and out of my tractor so I literally had two feet on the ground and could use both hands to pull or push the lever into the proper position. That only happens once in a while though.