4940c Wont Start - Electrical?

/ 4940c Wont Start - Electrical? #1  

rowdyspursranch

Tractor
2005 Montana 4940c
Hi, I am new to the forums. The name is Sam. I recently purchased a 2005 (If I am remembering correctly) Montana 4940c with a loader. I have really enjoyed it up until this last week when it decided it wasn't going to start. I was mixing up my compost pile with the loader and went to park it to get some dinner. Put it in neutral, put parking brake on, and shut it off like I always do. Went back out later that evening and it wouldn't start. The dash lights came on for a second, but while I waited for the glow plug light to go off, I checked my phone. May have been on the phone for a minute or two, but when I went to start, it was like there was no power... no dash lights, nothing happened when I turned the key. Nothing... The next morning it started up fine.

Then, yesterday when I went to start it up, it did the same thing.. except after waiting, nothing changed. The battery tested fine. Wiring looks good. I've had a mouse issue, but no signs of any in the motor or under the dash. Fused were all good. I looked for an inline fuse as Ive read some models have them near the starter, but didn't see any. Grounds are all snug. So, now I'm at a loss. I didn't pull the ignition switch to test it yet, but will do that tomorrow when I am back up at the ranch. And the PTO switch was on off... although I've read this switch fails occasionally, but I could only see that being the problem if all the electrical power came on but the motor wouldn't turn. But I have no electrical power at all.

I've searched the forums, but can't find a solution... Any ideas???

Thanks,

Sam

12105933_518805748244665_5478587368937736782_n.jpg

/ 4940c Wont Start - Electrical? #2  
I had an ignition problem on mine. You turn the key everything worked, but wouldn't turn over. Test after test, we ended up putting in a push button starter button. Now I just turn the key to "on" an hit the button. I know this was a work around, but it works great and I got tired of tracing wires.

/ 4940c Wont Start - Electrical?
Yeah I haven't had time to check the ignition switch, but it's on my to do list for tomorrow... It's just strange that nothing come on at all... almost seems like a ground or fuse issue, but I can't find anything...

So, I checked the switch and the relay, but both are fine. And the motor turns over fine when I jump the starter. I bought a service manual with a diagram (see attached pdf for diagram) and it shows there is a fusible link just past the starter, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Anything else I can look for? I'm running out of ideas... :confused:

Attachments

• svc43404940 370.pdf
    405.9 KB · Views: 270
   / 4940c Wont Start - Electrical? #5  
The smaller tractors (2734) have two 40 or 50 amp fuses taped to the wiring harness. One supplies power to the switch. Have to take the dash panel out to get to them. Had one blow and everything was dead.

/ 4940c Wont Start - Electrical? #6  
The fusible link may look just like an electrical connector.
Post a picture of the wiring around the battery and starter.
Dave M7040

I don't see any wires that look bad or even look like a fusible linknow to me, but maybe it's different on tractors? All the wires and fuses test good for continuity. I must be missing something! The loader makes it hard for me to really crawl up in there so I can see behind the starter...

Suggestions?