3840 power loss

/ 3840 power loss #1  

hlpdobro

Tractor
Montana 3840
Power loss while bush hogging. Replaced fuel filter and power returned for about 20 minutes. Thought I might have seen water in the bottom of the bowl so now the bowl was dumped and the tank is drained and refueled with fresh.

Anything else I should be checking before returning to the field?

Thanks in advance.

hp

/ 3840 power loss #2  
hipdobro,

This exact same thing happened to me with my 5740C last year while brushhogging a neighbors place. What you have done so far is fine but I would strongly suggest that you also change your fuel filter again and put another new one in again to be sure. You may be dealing with water in your diesel or dirt in your diesel and either may be in your tank or in the diesel you just put into your tractor. After going through two new fuel filters. in mine I determined it was the new diesel I had gotten that was bad, either with water or with dirt and probably both. I finally wound up draining tank and discarding new diesel, it was only then that my tractor ran right again and has ever since. You can definitely buy fresh diesel that is both dirty and has water in it. Good Luck.

/ 3840 power loss
Follow up. I got rid of 5 gal of red dye and swapped out the filter. Runs like a scalded dog once again.

Thanks

hp