Montana 5740

/ Montana 5740 #1  

okchuck

I've been looking at the Montana 5740. Like everything I see but I'm a little concerned if it has enough power to run a 10 foot pull type Bush Hog. The dealer tells me the tractor is rated 52 hp at the PTO. The Bush Hog manual calls for a minimum 50 PTO hp so I'm sure it would run it, but what I am really worried is that I couldn't mow as fast I want with the Montana.I'm currently using a 95 hp Ford to pull the Bush Hog , it never bogs the engine but sometimes I have to slow down in thick weeds and brush to get a good quality cut. I would like to hear anyone's advise on the 5740 and a 10 foot Bush Hog'
Thanks

/ Montana 5740 #2  
Thats one **** of a mower for that size tractor, it would be all that tractor would want...I would want at least a 65-70hp tractor.

/ Montana 5740 #3  
I pull a 3pt 10ft cutter. I mostly clip pasture and weeds, but have cut some thick Johnson grass. The tractor does a fine job handling a 10 footer. I was initially concerned about the weight making the front end light. I leave the FEL on but take the bucket off. I live in Middle TN and have climbed some pretty steep hills while cutting and never felt the front get light. I run in 1st gear (high range). This is the same speed I use to pull my old 6 ft cutter. Its fast enough to get the job done but slow enough not to beat you to death.

/ Montana 5740 #4  
IMHO 50 pto hp is the minimum for a 10' mower. That said.. minimum is fine if you aren't running a race or 'clearing' tree-lings.

Soundguy

/ Montana 5740 #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm currently using a 95 hp Ford to pull the Bush Hog , it never bogs the engine but sometimes I have to slow down in thick weeds and brush to get a good quality cut )</font>

Hmm.. I'm using a similar setup.. 90ish hp ford with a 10' mower.. I mow in 5th (high).. and tend to get a decent quality cut no matter what I go over. How fast are you mowing? What's the condition of the blades? Perhaps it's time to dress the blades?

Soundguy

/ Montana 5740 #6  
I live just east of Edmond and you are welcome to come do some mowing on mine. I have a 7' rotary cutter that I use with my 5740C and it never slows down unless I hit something really hard. I am planning on buying a 15' towable batwing mower in the future once I get the johnson grass converted to grass. I mow about 25 acres and a 7' mower is not enough - takes too long - but it does chew up the gnarley stuff.

/ Montana 5740 #7  
I must be a novice, but a 10' brush hog on a 50hp PTO? I admit I don't know a lot about mowing with a brush hog. I use a 7' HD mower behind either a 52hp or 70hp PTO and get good results, but I don't think I'd consider a 10' mower. I think a 10' mower would be all the 70hp PTO could handle. Do we tend to push the machines beyond their limit?

/ Montana 5740 #8  
Yeah for that HP a 7ft is about right...actually would only recommend a heavy duty 6ft...and 8ft at MAX...but that just my recommendation...