MONTANA TRACTORS

/ MONTANA TRACTORS #1  

WENT AND CHECKED OUT THE MONTANA TRACTORS TODAY. ACUALLY TURNED OUT TO BE A VERY NICE TRACTOR. NICE PRICES TO GO ALONG WITH IT. ANY FEEDBACKS ON THIS TRACTOR LINE?

/ MONTANA TRACTORS #2  
Hello and welcome. We have had tremendous success with them. Yes, I am a dealer but try and be unbiased as much as possible. What models did you look at?

They are well built, perform great and are very competitive price wise. Montana will continue to grow and the LG manufactured tractors are excellent quality.

Maka

/ MONTANA TRACTORS #3  
70+ hours so far on a 5740C - so far so good.

/ MONTANA TRACTORS #4  
I've had my Montana 5740C since last Feb and I'm very happy with it's performance. I think choosing Montana was absolutely the right choice, with no question at all!

I'd have replied sooner to your thread but since about the day you posted it, I've been down with the flu. Just getting over it and back up now.

/ MONTANA TRACTORS #5  
I own a 4940. I like it so far. Had a few hydraulic problems from the factory, but warranty got it fixed. Got 250 hrs. so far, great machine.

/ MONTANA TRACTORS #6  
Most people on here seem to own the Utility line of Montana's 4940 thru 5740. I own the biggest of the compact line a 4540. I would much rather have one of the Utility Montana's then my compact. I wrote a full initial review on this forum, search for it or go back a few pages, you should find it.

The compact is a good tractor, don't get me wrong, but it's too small in about every way for me and what I do. It has no shortage of power!!! In fact I believe it's a little overpowered for the frame and chassis it's built on. It could hurt itself if you aren't careful with it. Unless you need the PTO horsepower, I would almost recommend a smaller horsepower compact, if you was leaning towards a Montana compact. They have such a great selection of low gears, I'm sure all of them can do equally well at different speeds.

There was/is a design flaw with the compacts, that I feel I should point out. The exhaust blows across the right FEL cylinder, heating it to a point that the orings fail and it leaks. Montana knows about this problem, as they have been replacing FEL cylinders, probably more then they want to talk about. They had an aftermarket pipe made that can be fitted to your tractor to redirect the exhaust down towards the ground, instead of out the side of the hood. I got one of these pipes and installed it. I must say it should have came this way from the factory! It's quiter, less exhaust fumes, probably flows better because there isn't a 90 degree bend with it, and best of all doesn't ruin your right FEL cylinder. This problem may very well be fixed on new models shipping today, I don't know. I highly recommend this fix for anyone with a Montana compact. Just call your dealer and tell them you want to exhaust mod.

/ MONTANA TRACTORS #7  
Hello Sandman. You are right about this tractor and its power. I like the 4540's compact design with power to spare. It is a little monster. I have people who use this tractor in orchards as it has high horse power they need as well as the compact size they need.

Your a big guy so I think the 4340 would have been a good one for you but me at about 5' 11" and 225(pure muscle though :) hahahaha it is an excellent fit.

Yes, the 4540 had that exhaust coming out on a cylinder but that was not a tractor flaw but more a loader design issue. It is a minor fix and is done easily. Anyone who owns one can have their dealer make the mod, no problem.

How many hours do you have on it now? Talk to you soon.

Thanks,
Maka

/ MONTANA TRACTORS #8  
I have right at 150 hours on mine now.

On the exhaust, I'm not sure, but I would guess it affectes all of the compacts with the same loader as mine. Like I said, I think they all pretty much share the same frame/chasis. I'm just surprised they didn't see the problem at the factory, since these tractors are sold and shipped with factory FEL in most cases. The ugly black suit that covers the FEL cylinder is the first hint bad things are a coming. It is an easy fix and Montana seems to be addressing it.

Here's a list of things that have broke on my tractor in the 150 hours of use so far:
1. Clutch pedal return spring broke
2. Rubber hood stopper broke off
3. Right FEL cylinder started leaking
4. One of the FEL quick disconnects started leaking (O-ring fixed it)
5. Montana stick on logos blew off 1st power washing, now everyone thinks it's a John Deere.
6. Broke 2 of the main FEL Frame bolts off pushing a heavy pile of brush and stumps. These are grade 10.9 metric bolts and very hard to get. Even Montana doesn't have them, they shipped me grade 8.8, which won't cut it. Ended up ordering them through fastenall.

I also somehow had a stick pop up under the loader and stick through the front grill, busting the fiberglass hood and messing the screen up. Luckly the battery stopped it before it got to the radiator. I was afraid to ask how much a new fiberglass front clip and screens for the tractor cost, so my tractor isn't as pretty anymore.

A few more problems then I like with only 150 hours, but Montana parts department got me the repair parts in every case. So far they have been excellent to work with and that is a big + since I don't have a local dealer to run to everytime something breaks.

The tractor run very good, starts in 0 degree weather without issue, and operates very smoothly.

/ MONTANA TRACTORS #9  
I can honestly say that Montana is working hard to make sure customer satisfaction is of extreme importance and the parts department is excellent to work with. Those guys are tops.

If I ever need anything Montana is on top of it in a heart beat and that is what counts for us out here. As far as the hood piece, it is probably much more affordable than you may think.

I agree with you on the engine. It is smooth and we were -2 I started one up with no hesitation and it ran smooth and strong.

The loader exaust concern you had is isolated to the 4540 only and is not seen on any of the other models. It has been taken care of and Montana being very proactive is constantly working on being the best by improving.

Thanks,
Maka

/ MONTANA TRACTORS #10  
Maka;784183]I can honestly say that Montana is working hard to make sure customer satisfaction is of extreme importance and the parts department is excellent to work with. Those guys are tops.

I am starting to wonder about Montana. We have had parts on order since July with a tractor down and no luck. After parts were more than a month late with no news from the factory, other than it will be here in a week or so, we tried another dealer. Same answer, one part was in stock and the other is coming from LS (the tractor maker). Now they again say it is coming. I don't want to send up any red flags but this is how things started with the "Farmtrac troubles". First farmtrac used Textron for floor planning, so does Montana. Farmtrac had loaded up dealers with transfers from other dealers, Montana is also doing this. Farmtrac had lost leadership people, Montana has also. Farmtrac lost a lot of dealers 5-6 months before they went into receivership, the Montana dealers I talked to also say they have lost a lot of dealers and that is where the tractor transfers are coming from. How many dealers do they really have now? Farmtrac had long delays in getting down time parts from LS because they were not paying their bills. Is this why I can't get my parts? Montana has a very good tractor but there are some very stark similarities between the two companies. I would love to get my parts and be proven wrong but I also think it is better to be aware of a trend before getting stuck in another mess!
Please prove me wrong but don't ignore the bear tracks in front of your tree stand and then complain about getting eaten by the bear!!!!!
Case