Montana 5740/5740C updates

/ Montana 5740/5740C updates
Well put Ken. I think you nailed it right on.

Maka

/ Montana 5740/5740C updates #12  
Yeah, I tell customers that are close to me that if they want the "best cash price" to come shake my hand and let me see their face...we can work on price from then. Now if you are calling from several states over then it is a different situation.

/ Montana 5740/5740C updates #13  
You called the same two dealers? REALLY?? Can you tell me the names of those two dealers? I can tell you the names, phone #'s, and prices were as I quoted. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Don't think there was a misquote.

/ Montana 5740/5740C updates
Of course not Richard. I have no clue who or even if they are and neither does anyone else here and that was my point. To show the ridiculousness of it.

The Montana price you put down is simply suggested list, big deal. By the way would you please give us suggested list on the Deere? I would like it if you would send me the dealer name you got your price on for the Deere as well. Just PM it to me.

Now Richard with your permission can we drop this discussion and come back to the original topic before it was hi-jacked and that is reviews of people who use the 5740/5740C.

Thanks Much,
Maka

/ Montana 5740/5740C updates #15  
Hi Maka, I'll see if I can get us back on post topic here.

I only have 13 hours on my 5740, but so far am very pleased with the tractor.

The only real issue I have right now is with the bucket on the FEL. I have bent the bottom lip on the bucket, as such, when looking at it from the front it appears to be /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, and also the other direction that gives it a /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, appearance. I haven't decided if I want to beef up the cutting edge with old grader blade or trade up to a heavier and 6" wider bucket.

Another small issue for me is the position of the foot throttle. It is out to far to the right and to high off of the platform for my taste. I plan on moving it in closer to the brake pedals and lowering it a bit so I can get my toe on it without having to lift my leg.

OK, now the good things.

Engine: This Mitsubishi fires up so fast it's almost scary, dosen't smoke, and appears to be very fuel effecient. After doing a little rotary mowing, tree grubbing and driving around just for fun... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, it's burning approx .76 gal per hour.

This tractor is very easy to operate, the operators platform is roomy and comfortable.

The clutch is smooth, stong and very easy to depress. Could do loader work all day on this machine with out leg fatigue. Shifting in and out of 4 wheel drive is effortless, as is shifting from Hi to Low range on the tranny. The FWD/RVRS shuttle lever is a bit tight, but loosening up with use.

Steering is very responsive and I like the fact that the steering cylinders are mounted behind, and protected by the front axle.

The turning brakes are great. No chatter, squealing or noise of any kind when in use.

I like the pop up hood which affords quick and easy access to the engine, no side panels or shrouds to mess with. The 50 hour service will be a breeze.

Another nifty surprise was the tool kit and grease gun that that the dealer pulled out of the truck and handed to me, when he deliverd the tractor.

Over all this 5740 is a rugged well built machine for the $$. Personally, I don't think a better value can be found. Matched? Perhaps, but not beat.

/ Montana 5740/5740C updates #16  
The Montana price I listed was told to me from Southern Iowa Equipment to already be 20% off of list. List prices mean nothing as you dang well know being a dealer. I could care less what the list price is what I want to know is what do I have to pay for it. And no I didn't just call up. I have talked to this dealer several times. This wasn't a bs question. I am trading our 5303 JD for a tractor with a cab. It's only used for mowing and some light haying so I thought if this Montana that is so highly talked about could be bought for so little I would see what the pricing was. I visited both dealers and got both dealers best price. That's the facts pure and simple. I have never posted here before and I'm not a dang troublemaker here. I saw you posted on this right at the time I was looking for one. Well to me they are overpriced and not much of a value. I wanted your honest opinion not your dang righteousness. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif And you guys call JD dealers arrogant. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Montana 5740/5740C updates #17  
Tillerofdaearth:
I too felt the gas pedal was awkward but don't give it a second thought. Leave it alone for a while and see if it grows on you. My plan was origanally to move it also, but now I am starting to think it is actually correctly placed. Maybe the designers of the tractor were on to something

Cowboydoc:
I agree with you that the Montana tractors are definately a much better buy and better built tractor than the JD.

/ Montana 5740/5740C updates #18  
<font color="green">I agree with you that the Montana tractors are definately a much better buy and better built tractor than the JD. </font>

I didn't say that. I don't think the Montana is a better built tractor. More function, choices, and better motor and transmission, in my opinion on the JD than the Montana. BUT I didn't need that so much with this tractor as it was only going to be used for mowing mostly. I figured if it was that much cheaper I might think about it.

BTW I did get a VERY cordial and nice PM from a Montana dealer that explained the pricing. Thanks to him for clearing up the pricing issue and his price was less than the JD.

/ Montana 5740/5740C updates #19  
I looked at the JDs, New Hollands, Mahindras and Kubotas before I bought mine. Montanas in my opinion are the best bang for the buck.

I have guys that I hire to do everything from grading work with little New Hollands to big stuff with dozers and Komatsu trackhoes. They have all been impressed with the quality of my 5740C. I think you are on the right board and looking at the right brand.

/ Montana 5740/5740C updates #20  
Here is the price quote I got from a Montana Dealer, over the phone, yesterday for a new 5740, FEL(bucket and Pallet forks), $24875. No cab. This dealer is a little to far away from me but have since found a couple dealers a little closer but havent talked to them. Does this price sound about right.

After doing some compareing to similar siz/hp utility tractors I like the way the 5740 compares. What I havent be able to determine is the PTO hp. It isnt listed in the spec sheet. Can someone here tell me what it is supposed to be.