Montana 5740/5740C updates

/ Montana 5740/5740C updates #1  

Maka

Veteran Member
Tractor
None at the moment
Hello All,

I know many 5740's are in use and wanted to get some feedback or reviews on how hey are performing. Your thoughts and experiences will help others who want info about this model of Montana.

I would like to keep this to the 5740's for now but do some other models soon.

Thanks,
Maka

/ Montana 5740/5740C updates #2  
I have a 5740C w/ FEL. It has about 100 hours on it now. I use it for two purposes. I use it in my vineyard for spraying, mowing, moving supplies, etc. I also use it in my periodically in my construction company for more rigorous uses such as hauling dirt, box blading, leveling, ripping stumps, moving rocks, etc.

This is my first tractor (but I have rented them for years) and I have been happy with it. I am definately glad I got the FEL. I don't know how I ever lived without one now. It lifts right at about 2000# like the manual says. I am extremely glad that I also bought the 4WD model. I have to use it all the time in the construction use when I am driving into ditches and up steep slopes.

I am demanding on my equipment and the tractor has some battle scars. Mainly it is the result of working in amongst the trees. I have lost one mirror, one light and a part of the roof. Of course this was my fault.

Mechanically speaking it was performed fine. There was a problem in the beginning with a small aluminum hose fitting on the A/C system breaking. I noticed the last one the dealer replaced was shaped slightly different, so I assume they switched to an improved part. So far it has held up and I assume it is now fixed. I did have a few bolts start to back out on the front axle after about 20 hours. Those were retorqued and has remained in place ever since. A couple of the couplings on the FEL hydraulic lines leaked initially, but have been tightened down and are fine now.

Those have been the only problems to date, so that is pretty good. I am extremely happy with it. It appears to be an excellent tractor.

/ Montana 5740/5740C updates
Hello JC and thanks. This type of info is very helpful to others who are considering this model. Anyone else?

Thanks,
Maka

/ Montana 5740/5740C updates #4  
I have a Montana 5740C with a FEL. So far I have racked up 90 hours without any problems. At 50 hours I changed all of the filters and oil. I was able to buy everything I needed at a local Napa store.

When I first started looking for a tractor I wasn’t going to get one with a cab. Hey I live in California why would I need one but I am so glad I did get one. This last summer we had weeks of 100+ days, but inside of the cab you could hang meat. I can work all day long and not have to take a week off to recover heat stroke. The cab has lots of room and has no blind spots. The Cab air filters keep the dirt and dust outside. I even added a 12 volt icebox to store some cool ones. The external work lights are very useful when the sun goes down before the work is done.

So far I have used the tractor to dig 50+ post holes, grade my 2.5 mile driveway with an 8 foot blade, level a parking area with a 7’ box blade, disc the fields and clear fire breaks with the FEL and brush hog.

The tractor has lots of power and is an animal when it comes to traction. When grading my driveway, the 8 foot blade had become filled with dirt and was spilling over the top of the blade but the 5740C kept pulling the blade all the way up the road. I have used the tractor in places I wouldn’t dare go with my D-8 Cat.

The only thing that Montana needs to be improved is the operators manual. It is a computer translation from Korean to English and when you read some of the sentences you say to yourself Huh! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif The Montana Tractor web site should have a section for customers to look up part numbers and prices.

I am sure there are many excellent tractors on the market but I feel the Montana 5740C is one of the best values for the money. The Montana design, quality workmanship is something you only expect to see in higher priced tractors from the big 3. I am looking forward to many years of service from this tractor. My only regret is I did not buy one sooner. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks California Kid.

Maka

/ Montana 5740/5740C updates #6  
I'd like to know where the value is on these tractors?? The comparable tractor to this one is the JD 5225. With a loader and spec'd out exactly like the 5225 I got a quote from a dealer for $32,594 for a 5740C. Best cash deal I was told. From JD for a 5225 I got a quote of $30,800 for the exact equipped machine. Where's the value in these?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

OK Richard /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif By the way I think this was a request for updates on the 5740 from people who use them. Everyone on this whole forum knows your color of choice and the reason for your post. If you don't yet know Richard just look at his profile and you will see all you need to know.

But hey, you are welcome to hang out here and maybe, just maybe, we can convert you. Nawwww, on second thought probably not. But, we appreciate your interest in the Montana forum.

Have a good one.

Maka

/ Montana 5740/5740C updates #8  
Didn't answer my question Maka. AS a dealer why is the JD less money than the Montana. Numerous posts on here and other forums about how the Montana is the best buck for the money. It was a legitimate question. I wasn't trying to be coy with my question. I buy Deere because I believe it is the best tractor for the money. Doesn't mean if there was something better I wouldn't switch. I just don't see where the value is here? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Richard, I just called the same two dealers you did and the Deere 5225 with cab and loader best cash price was $37,500.00 and the Montana dealer was $32,594.00.

Looks like the Deere is not quit the price bargain. Maybe they misquoted when you spoke to them.

Thanks,
Maka

/ Montana 5740/5740C updates #10  
"Best cash price?" What exactly is that? As a dealer, I really don't care to throw out best cash prices. When a customer calls for a price, the first thing I ask is what tractor MY price is being compared to. If it's a guy looking for a Montana price, I point him to his nearest dealer and if it's a guy looking at another brand of tractor, I usually find what he wants me to price for him, is two steps above the tractor price he is bringing me. I really don't care what you can get a Kubota BX for when you ask me for a price on a 5740C!

Point is that you RARELY get a "best cash price" without showing up in person and acting like you are actually interested in buying something.

If price was the only point in a purchase, there would be a LOT more tractors coming in from China.

I'm happy to be able to offer good price, good tractor, and good service and those that aren't stuck on any certain brand will see that.

Ken