JD vs Montana

/ JD vs Montana #1  

NoMo

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3520
I don't want to hijack Maka's 5740 thread, so I'm starting this one. For those who may not have read, there is a post in the other thread by cowboydoc who said:
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'd like to know where the value is on these tractors?? The comparable tractor to this one is the JD 5225. With a loader and spec'd out exactly like the 5225 I got a quote from a dealer for $32,594 for a 5740C. Best cash deal I was told. From JD for a 5225 I got a quote of $30,800 for the exact equipped machine. Where's the value in these?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif )</font>

Being in the market for a tractor (maybe), I go to the JD website & build a 5225 4WD w/cab and R1 tires. Selected option pkg 510 which includes 12x12 tranny, 2 rear & 2 mid remotes. With the 'standard' 512 loader, MSRP is $42,028 + freight... and I'm not sure I got the loader added right since it only showed a charge for the bucket & attachment hoses/hardware.

While I can't debate the quotes cowboydoc received, it seems odd that a dealer is willing to drop nearly 27% off MSRP. From what I've read here at TBN, 15% off is about max for most dealerships.

So, if a JD dealer can drop that much off the price, how much can a Montana dealer knock off?

/ JD vs Montana #2  
Hello NoMo,

I think you are onto to something. I can't dispute cowboydoc's claims either, but am willing to bet that there is no way in this life time, one could purchase a JD5225 for less money than a 5740 Montana.

/ JD vs Montana #3  
cowboydoc sounds like he could be telling a good jd story.

could it be a leftover or is it a unit that was rented a few times. the jd dealer in my area will rent some units to get the cost down.

/ JD vs Montana #4  
depending on their programs it defentialy is possible. It seems that cowboydoc has an outstanding relationship with his JD dealer as he does tend to get some pretty outragous pricing.

/ JD vs Montana #5  
That is the only way that he could get those prices. There are very few dealers that will go that low and then only to the best customers.

/ JD vs Montana #6  
There are about 20 different programs that will deal for 23% off of list in the John Deere Network. It's not just me that gets good prices. If you work or are an AQHA horse breeder, Monsanto employees, HON employees, certain Farm Bureau members, and numerous other corporate relationships. I don't get outrageous prices. Every other farmer around me gets similiar prices.

And I wasn't being smart or anything on the comparision deal. I'm trading our 5303 on another 50 plus hp tractor with a cab. I thought I would take a look at the Montana's since they have been such a hot topic on here. I didn't just start this conversation for the heck of it. The FACT is I don't see where the Montana is that great of a deal.

BTW I suggest you check your numbers because the tractor you spec'd out is NOT the same as the 5740.

/ JD vs Montana
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( BTW I suggest you check your numbers because the tractor you spec'd out is NOT the same as the 5740. )</font>
What is significantly different between the 5225 I spec'd out and the 5740C that you priced? I want to make sure it's an accurate comparison.