3040 trailer hitch?

/ 3040 trailer hitch? #1  

Woodsman30350

Bronze Member
Tractor
Montana 3040
My 2006 3040 has a bar in the rear that looks like it can accept a trailer hitch. Does anyone have any information on what tongue weight it can accept? Also what would the towing capacity be?

/ 3040 trailer hitch? #2  
Your owners manual should have a listing for drawbar and 3 pt. hitch capacity. I'm not familiar with your model tractor but my Mahindra 2615 HST drawbar can only hold 300# of vertical tongue weight but can pull much more. As long as I have traction I can pull it. For moving trailers I use a drawbar on the 3 pt hitch attachment I made to move trailers around my yard. My 3 pt system can lift 2205#. I put counterweight in the loader bucket and I have easily moved my camping trailer with it. Camper weighs around 6000# and has about 1200# tongue weight. I just stay on fairly level ground when moving it. I certainly would not want to pull the camper up a hill or worse try to stop it going down hill but on level ground its fine.
George

Attachments

• 832258-3 pt ball hitch.JPG
    832258-3 pt ball hitch.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 145
   / 3040 trailer hitch? #3  
I will use the draw bar for smaller utility trailers and pull type implements. Need to remember to keep the three point lifted so it's out of the way!!

You can buy a three point hitch that uses standard 2" square draw bars like a truck hitch. The 3040 three point is rated at just under 3,000lbs at the balls so you should be able to handle any trailer you would want to pull with a tractor that size. The nice thing about the three point type is that you can back under a trailer and pick it up without messing with the trailer jack. You can also use it to dump a small trailer but I wouldn't do that without a chain between the draw bar and the hitch to limit how far it can raise!! There is also one built with a top mounted ball for gooseneck trailers.

Ken