Montana 4540 ticking

/ Montana 4540 ticking #1  

xxxsandman

Silver Member
My Montana 4540 is at 170 hours. The engine has been smooth, quite and what I would consider perfect running.

In the last couple of months I have noticed some very light ticking coming from the engine until it warms up. No big deal, I thought. Then I noticed while digging today that the engine will do the same ticking when under a load. As soon as the load is gone, so is the ticking. It's not loud and it's not that noticeable, but with the engine being so quite, it can be heard.

It takes a pretty heavy load to cause the ticking. It is really noticeable about the time the engine will give in to the pull and start to pull down. I'm a little worried about this ticking, with load. I know bearings can "knock" while under load and be quite otherwise when they are worn. This doesn't sound like a knock really, it's more of a ticking.

Any thoughts? Anyone else notice this on their Montana?

Times like this makes me wish I had a local dealer I could have come listen to it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

James

/ Montana 4540 ticking #2  
Check the fuel filter yet? I had my farmtrac at a fast idle while doing a quick side job, and all of a sudden the clicking started, scared me. Came back the next morning, flushed the filter and it quit making the noise. some locals had fuel problems with diesel trucks and mentioned the same place I had last purchsed fuel for the tractor. No problem since. When diesels run out or low on fuel they tend to clatter a bit. I've had good luck with the farm track so far, I'm about 660 hours.

/ Montana 4540 ticking #3  
Hi James. I would check the valves. They should be checked and adjusted at about 200 hours so on startup or under a load they may make that ticking sound. This would be part of the routine maintenance/service and that is what I would check first since you are at about that hour interval.

By the way, if you want, you can get a CD with the service manual on it. This is very detailed and covers every aspect of your tractor as far as service and repairs. This way if you need service or future work you will have all at hand and any good diesel mechanic should be able to handle it for you.

Now, I want to qualify that as I am not talking warranty work. I am talking routine service and work after the warranty has ended.

Thanks,
Maka

/ Montana 4540 ticking #4  
Maka, Can you get the same CD for the 3040?