$5 Bucket Level Indicator

/ $5 Bucket Level Indicator #1  

TillerofdaEarth

Silver Member
Tractor
2005 Montana 5740 w FEL
This is a very inexpensive experiment for a bucket level indicator. Had all the pieces except for the 1/4" rod which I procured at the local hardware store for a couple bucks.

Attachments

• 845004-1 (1).JPG
    845004-1 (1).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 6,840
   / $5 Bucket Level Indicator
This attachment shows the upper assembly which is just a couple of Conduit I-Beam clamps, a strap secured across the clamps with screws, and a 1/4" eye bolt. The eye bolt will be vulnerable to tree limbs but what the hey, they are only .78 cents at the hardware store.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Attachments

• 845011-P1010029.JPG
    845011-P1010029.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 3,447
This attachment shows the "kink" I bent into the indicator rod. Works great, as it really drops in and out of position as the rod passes through the eyelet.

Attachments

• 845016-1.JPG
    845016-1.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 4,158
The lower attach point is a 1 3/8" chain link gate hinge. Clamped right to the cylinder with no problem.

Attachments

• 845022-P1010031.JPG
    845022-P1010031.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 3,043
Here is a not to good a pic of the view from drivers seat. Looks kind of fragile but the price was right and it does work like a champ. Time to go do some dirt work... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Attachments

• 845026-1 (2).JPG
    845026-1 (2).JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 2,834
   / $5 Bucket Level Indicator #6  
I built one of these indicators. I tried to modify it a bit and then found out that this device works well as it is designed. I would like to add a couple of things that I found out. You can get all the parts at Lowes. for $)6.79 I used a 1 3/8 conduit clamp it looks like the one in the picture. That fits on the cylinder at the very end nearest the loader. I bought a beam clamp (which is in the electrical section with the conduit clamp) and just used one beam clamp since it has threads on it that allows you to screw an eye bolt into it. I also used a 5/16 inch rod. I did that primarily because of the modifications I made to my first attempt. It bent my 1/4 inch rod like candy so I wanted the bit heavier rod. (Although I dont imagine that the 5/16 would have held up any better and I am sure that the 1/4 works fine.) I bought a 4 foot long piece of the 5/16 and that works well. I do notice that the new tractors have a level indicator that has a piece of pipe bolted to the mount. The rod is straight and when it shows through the end of the pipe that is level. I would imagine if you dont want to do the bend you could paint your rod at the area it shows up as level and then just watch for that mark. The bend was very very easy to make if you have access to a accetelyne torch. I am very apreciative for this original post. The first time i used my bucket after I put the level on it I was so amazed at how useful the level was this is a must have item on your FEL

Thanks gemini, always nice to hear someone else has benefited from an idea.

/ $5 Bucket Level Indicator #8  
I did make one minor modification that seems to help me quite a bit. I painted the rod and the eye bolt green ( I am sure you can guess why) but I painted the hook section of the rod white. When it gets to the eye bolt you can really spot the white getting in the eye bolt. For and older geezer like me that visual aid seems to help my eyes spot the level indication faster