4wd in tight corners

/ 4wd in tight corners #1  

Dallas_Lilly

Gold Member
Tractor
Montana 4340C
I have had 4wd trucks before and have always avoided tight corers in 4wd because of the mechanical strains that it can cause.
What is a general rule of thumb for my Montana 3040 - The reason I ask is I have a round pen for my horse and was moving dirt around with the box gannon and needed 4wd and also needed to turn sharp enough that I wanted to engage to right brake only. It did not hop or make any unusual noises.

Is this something I should avoid in the future? or is this an acceptable practice? The manual is not real clear about this subject.

/ 4wd in tight corners #2  
I believe you'll be OK making sharp turns as long as you are not on asphalt or similar surface that will not allow the tires to slip a bit.

/ 4wd in tight corners #3  
I do not think you have any problem using 4x4 with the tractor. It is not he same as a 4x4 truck. I have the same problem with my round pen and it simply will not pull the drag without being in 4x4 so i just do it. Glad to see someone else from Az one here.

/ 4wd in tight corners #4  
Living in No. Idaho now but was raised in Wickenburg Az. Well, not actually in Wickenburg, that is just where I went to Jr. high and high school. We actually lived out side a town called Congress near the ghost towns of Stanton, Octave and Weaver. Thats where I fell in love with tractors.

Maka

/ 4wd in tight corners
That area down by Congress and Hillside is my favorite place to go quail hunting. This is the time of year that I stop making trips down south for anything, it is just too hot.

/ 4wd in tight corners #6  
We had a cattle ranch out there that I was raised on. Quail, deer, javalina. I really loved to hunt the area. I am comfortable until July and August and then it can be very uncomfortable.

I miss my old stomping grounds sometimes.

Maka

/ 4wd in tight corners #7  
Most CUT use bevel gear front drive, not U joints so the dirve is not affected by the angle of the wheels. hard to explain without a picture but turning the wheels left ro right just rotates the gear, not benign a CV joint or worse, U joint.

In theory, the wheel could do 360 degrees without binding the driveline, cant do that with CV or u joints!

/ 4wd in tight corners #8  
bluechip is 100% right. Most of the Deere's, Kubota's, and NH's have the bevel gear in the front drive. I'm not sure of Montana. If you don't have it you need to be careful. If you do have it turn as sharp as you want.