Got some seat time - 3240 vs 3040

/ Got some seat time - 3240 vs 3040 #1  

Cargun

Bronze Member
Spent some time driving around the dealers lot today. The 3040 defintely fits me better, the steering wheel on the 3240 is quite a reach, and if I move the seat up the pedals are too close. Do these have tilt wheels? there was boot around the bottom of the wheel like it did tilt, but I couldn't find anyway to adjust it. The 3040 engine seemed a little quieter too, though I wouldn't call either quiet. The 3240 had a canopy on it though, which may have made the engine sound louder.

The dealer said that even though the 3040 had less horsepower than the 3240 he thought it would handle a brushhog better because the 4cyl was torquier. Does anyone have experience with the two side to side?

I had a very bad day with transmissions though.... in addition to having trouble with 2 Kubotas I drove, I didn't get along well with either Montana transmission. The 3240 seemed to have a bad synchro on 2nd gear, as it would grind upshifting and downshifting to 2nd. The other gears were fine though. On the 3040 shifting was good, but I had trouble with the range lever. It didn't seem to have well defined detents, which was OK when the lever lined up with the H M L symbols... but after a little, um, customization it didn't line up with the letter and better detents would have been nice. The customization came about when it wouldn't go into L and I applied a little too much force trying to get it to go. I think I bent something as the lever's position changed after that. And in general I couldn't shift through H M and L smoothly... depending on where the whole geartrain was stopped one of the ranges was always difficult to engage.

I was quoted $14k for a 2740, $15k for a 3240, and $17k for a 3040. If the 3040 was at $15k I'd go for it... but $17k seems a little steep to me. I know it has more bells and whistles than the 3240, but the foldable ROPS is the only one that is useful to me. If the 3240 fit me better I'd get it, but I don't want an ill fitting tractor because I plan on getting a lot of seat time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I kind of like the idea of the electric PTO on the 3040 as the lever on the 3240 would be difficult to operate. The field I would be mowing is pretty rocky and I will probably be turning the PTO on and off quite often. I don't like the reliablity factor of the electric PTO though.... I trust the mechanical one.

I'm looking for any input for people with REAL seat time on these machines.