New 5740C need help!

/ New 5740C need help! #1  

clfalpacas

Tractor
5740C w FEL
Just took delivery of a new 5740C w/loader this afternoon. While I'm quite impressed, I have encountered a challenge. Crazy as it sounds, I can't find the range shift control. Main shift and sub shift are right where they are supposed to be and provide 8 positive gears... but where are the other 8???

The owner's manual shows the parking break lever on the right side of the driver's seat but it's actually on the left. This and a few other things lead me to believe that I can't believe everything I read.

Kevin
Elk County Kansas

/ New 5740C need help! #2  
If you look down to your left on the floor you will see a handle you can pull. That is your creeper and it splits the gears for a total of 16 possible gears.

Good luck with the new tractor.

Maka

/ New 5740C need help! #3  
Just passed 110 hrs on 5740C Still got a few questions myself, but MAKA Is spot on. Behind your left heel, on the clutch foot, is a short lever poking through the floorboard, Pull it up,sharply,and engage whatever. Won't make a bit of differance on anything but ground speed. Have used this range for the boom flail, and found it to be a really good match for rough ground mowing.Am going to put an extension on the Sub gear / creeper gear/ lever myself,as it seems too short . need to make it easier to hand, I do need to shift between ranges fairly often to mow foward, and then back up to mow the next strip.Pesonally, I'm basically ignoring the Montana manual as unreadable, and conflicting for a new owner.. I've ground the gears much more on the new Montana 5740 C, than on the old John Deere 4600, have just fallen back on "the old farmer says" VS "this is how we do it at the state level". It's your tractor, keep current with the dealer, if the gears won't engage, don't force! but on a new machine, especially a tractor, give them a really good shove, maybe more than you're than comfortable with.Tractor gears are incredibly forgiving, but can bind in the worst way. One thing I don't wanna do, is trying to rock a tractor the size of a 5740 by hand. Iv'e done it on some of the old timers. That's why we bought new tractors!!!

/ New 5740C need help! #4  
110 hours. Wow, you are using it. I say this as 110 is not a lot on a tractor and really not broken in yet but 110 hours in the time you have had it is a lot. You only got this a couple of months ago did'nt you? I am just looking at the seat time you spend on a tractor.

Maka

/ New 5740C need help! #5  
Hi Maka,Actually I don't have the seat time I'd like on the new machine. The Ag Bag bunch really wanted me to get this tractor and use it, as BRUSHTAMERS is a business name. I cut overgrown lots, fields, road shoulders, etc. They feel if it holds up for me as a commercial use, the Montanas ought to be able to hold up on the farm.Have had one relatively major problem, oil was going from the engine to the transmission, which is impossible, as they are not connected. Reason was a faulty seal in the hydraulic pump, allowing oil to siphon from engine to transmission, as it provides oil to both. Current problem is moisture in the cab. If I run just the blower, with no conditioned air, the moisture inside the cab gets so heavy it's actually hard to breath. I think I found out what's causing it though. I pulled off the top cover on the cab, and there's a puddle of antifreeze on the cabin top. Will take it in this week to see where it's leaking from.Pretty happy with it overall, except for fuel economy. The best I can get is 6 1/2 hours on a full tank. I know the gauge is correct, cause I've been sticking the tank. It absolutly needs to have a tank big enough for an 8 hour day. Will see if I can attach a picture from a recent mowing for the City of Astoria.

Attachments

• Astor Column 019 (Small).jpg
    Astor Column 019 (Small).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 235
  • Astor Column 013 (Small).jpg
    Astor Column 013 (Small).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 214