Montana Warranty

/ Montana Warranty #21  
Thanks for the info Gemini. Makes sense that not all thick castings are weak and thin ones are of superior strength. The design parameters of the tractor dictate the weight of the machine, not the weight being mandated by inferior metals.
John

/ Montana Warranty #22  
Stoner said:
No the source was not from a competing dealer. It was from a friend that owns a couple of tractors that he uses on his ranch. He told me that he had heard the Farm Trac's had some inferior metal parts. He said the axles on some of the Farm Trac's had snapped due to poor materials. The reason I asked the question was to see if there was any truth to that statement. I was looking at a used LG 2740 to buy and wanted to check out the quality of the machine.
Did your friend have any direct experience with these "failures" or was it some hearsay information. Was it the axle housing that failed or the axle shaft from potentially leaving 4WD engaged while roading the machine. I have 200+ hours so far with no catastrophic axle failure to report. The 270 has a fairly stout looking axle assy and I would be highly skeptical of these purported failures.
John

Last edited:
   / Montana Warranty #23  
Just want to jump in and should have earlier but been very busy. LG manufactured tractors are not cast iron as previously stated. All the LG/LS tractors are cast steel. Tensile strength as I understand it is 41kg squared per cm or mm. I really don't understand it but I believe it works out to 58,000 lbs. per square inch on all castings on the LG/LS tractors.

How do I know this? Well, I had a customer come in last year who is a mechanical engineer and he wanted to know tensile strenght and I told him I had no clue but would find out. I personally know the design engineer of the LG/LS tractors in S. Korea and I emailed him and he sent back the answer. I forwarded the engineer and he and his sister came in the next day with a cashiers check and bought the tractor. He was impressed anyway.

In any case, this is what I know the castings to be.

Thanks,
Maka

/ Montana Warranty #24  
Stoner said:
Is the Montana warranty transferable if I purchase a used Montana from and individual. The tractor is less than a year old. How long is the warranty on a Montana? One thing that I heard about Farm Trac (same as a Montana 2740 HP) that some of the metal parts are substandard and have a tendency to break. Is their any truth to that statement?
Stoney, Sounds like you got some misinformation on the LG/LS units. Maybe one of those "Rural Legends".

John

/ Montana Warranty #25  
My montana 4940c has worked very well. The only problems I have had with it were having a FEL hydraulic line rupture. Two lines have done that but I will be the first person in the world to say that it was probably from me doing things with the FEL that were beyond the design parameters. My local Montana dealer did not carry the hoses and they sent me to a local New Holland dealer to have one made. It took about ten minutes to get a new one made and about thirty minutes to get the old ones off and new ones on. The new hoses cost about ten dollars a piece . Not a really big fix actually and compared to the price difference with a Kubota, New Holland or John Deere I can replace a lot of hoses and still be ahead. Prior to my buying the tractor I noticed a big weight difference between the Montana and the John Deere or a New Holland. The Montana was significantly heavier. I did not worry about the quality of parts when I was looking at the weight but thinking of the difference in what you can do with a tractor that weighs more. I am currently clearing some land and use the Montana to push over trees. (guess how I broke those FEL hoses) I figured the more weight you had the better job it could do with clearing land and more stability you had with useing the FEL.