Missing parts?!?

/ Missing parts?!? #1  

clfalpacas

Tractor
5740C w FEL
In the FYI department: If you are supposed to have a dual dry element air filter, you might want to open it up and check. Today we discovered that that secondary (safety) filter element was never installed on the 5740C we had delivered last month. :(

I'll be having a chat with the folks in AR tomorrow.

Also, does anybody have any favorite brands of lubricants or good recommendations?

Kevin

/ Missing parts?!? #2  
If you want to call, I suggest you talk to Wayne. This isn't anything new but the dealer should have mentioned it to you. There have been studies done by Donaldson, the company that makes the filter unit, that led them to dropping the inner filter unit for some applications so it wasn't a matter of someone not putting it in your tractor.

Ken Walter

/ Missing parts?!? #3  
When I first checked over my tractor at the dealer, I thought the inner element was missing, but when the mechanic looked it over, found that the inner was stuck inside the outer, and both had pulled off as one piece. Figured that the inner hadn"t been pushed on all the way.

/ Missing parts?!?
I spoke with Bob Goltz, Director of Operations at Montana. It turns out that there was, indeed, a spec change back in about April that did away with the secondary filter. Seems the restricted airflow caused more problems than were solved by having a second filter. It was a dealer communication matter.

Also, with respect to filters, I was told that Montana put out a cross reference filter chart to all dealers (he emailed me a copy). Numbers for Donaldson, Baldwin and Luber-Finer are available on all filters needed.

Pays to do some digging (other than with the loader)!

Kevin

/ Missing parts?!? #5  
I have a Montana 4540 that uses a 2 stage Donaldson air filter. Does this change in not needing the inner filter apply to the 4540 also? I noticed how restrictive the air filter system looked while changing the filters. The innerfilter was not dirty at all, so I didn't change it. The outter filter was very ditry. Did they change the part used for the outter filter or simply do away with using the inner filter?

The cross reference chart would be VERY useful for any Montana owner. I've asked multiple times on this board for a cross reference of filter part number for my Montana 4540 and never got a answer. If you could post them some way, that would be a great service to all the Montana owners!

Thanks,
James

/ Missing parts?!?
I'll try to get a copy of the xref list posted tomorrow.

Kevin

/ Missing parts?!? #8  
*Bump* - like sandman, I have a 4540 ... should I dump the inner filter ... it's clean as a whistle.