5740 will it be my first new tractor ?

/ 5740 will it be my first new tractor ? #1  

cattleman

I have recently decided to shop for a new tractor for the FIRST time.I now use a 1952 aliss model b i litterally did 40 acres of hay with it the last few years with a side mounted sicle mower,and 1968 MF 202 that ive been working way to hard it just plowed 10 acres in pulled a 6 foot tiller over it twice and almost didnt make it.Ive decided to try and sell some sod for landscapeing and peoples lawns ect and i need a good multi function unit,one that can plow and use at least a 3-14 plow,pull a thousand pound round bailer and a haybine,pull a 6 foot tiller load pallets and all sorts of wonderfull tasks.

Ive shopped around a little and i think these may have a pretty good bang for the buck a dealer quoted me 33.9K for a 5740 with 4wd and a loader delivered in canadian funds.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a better unit in a similair price range or is my quest over ?

/ 5740 will it be my first new tractor ? #2  
Other than a blown or unseated seal in the hydraulic pump which was giving us some some really wierd oil level readings, when the tractor was very young, and before the AgBag bunch, and tech support from Montana got together and figured out that the engine oil could, in theory be pumped from the engine to the transmission, they already had a new engine being shipped toward me. Didn't need it, the hydraulic pump was replaced, and no more problems on that end.Have been working the machine just like the old one, in other words, at full capacity. Trying not to lug the engine,keeping as close to 540 rpm as possible, no huge problems so far. but as some one noticed a year or so ago, the front tin is weak at the hood hinge.If your'e considering an open station 5740 or 20 for field work, I wouldn't hesitate. The Montana is a much more affordable machine than the "Big Three". See my previous post about "C" models though. Not happy there.