going to shop for a Montana

/ going to shop for a Montana #1  

ok wireline hand

Well I'm new to this site but I am excited about the info I have already found. Next weekend I am going to the local Montana dealership( i use local loosely) to possibly buy a 4540. I like the looks of the tractor and the horsepower rating of the compact tractor as well. I guess what I am asking is, is there anything I should be aware of. any info is helpful since this will be my first time purchasing a tractor.

/ going to shop for a Montana #2  
Welcome to the board Wireline.

Nothing much better than shopping for a new tractor, except for breaking it in at home!

Since your looking at new machines there isn't much you need to be aware of versus shopping for a used tractor. Just take your time and spend sometime in the seat, drive it around, shift through some gears, shift in and out of 4 wheel drive and the like, and kind of get a feel for the tractor.

Montana tractors come standard with items that are options on some of the other brands. Rear remotes, rear work light, brake lights and turn signals are just some of the items I can think of off hand.

Anyway, have fun looking and deciding!

/ going to shop for a Montana #3  
Good luck.

I love my 4540. Both myself, and Sandman, I think, wrote reviews on the 4540 on this board. Dig around and you'll find them.

I am jealous, of course, that you'll be getting that new, slick, super-spec loader.

When I shopped, I looked at Deere, Kubota, Case, a ton of gray market options, but ended-up with Montana because of best overall value.

/ going to shop for a Montana
Thanks guys, I have already talked to the dealer once, He is offering me a 4540 with the old style loader for a pretty good discount. Is the new loader a great deal better?

/ going to shop for a Montana #5  
yes i would get the new one the old ones had a few problems

/ going to shop for a Montana #6  
Hey Okwireline,
I was just wondering what dealer you are talking to. I am from central OK, but I spend a lot of time working in eastern OK. By the way, I have a 4940 and love it. The only problems I have had, is the local dealer who I purchased my machine from went out of business. The guys probably had no business being in the tractor business, but it definitely is not a knock on Montana. I have about 450 hours on my machine and it has been a work horse.

/ going to shop for a Montana #7  
The old loader had two mounting methods. The original mount was not spread across the chassis enough and had all the bolts within a small area causing potential stress. They fixed this and I never saw a problem after that.

Look at the mounts on the chassis and see if they run forward towards the front of the machine. If you can't tell take a picture and post and I will let you know if it is the updated mount that is just fine.

The loader its self worked good except for that need. The new cured boom loader is great. But the old one will work really well if it was the updated one and I would not be afraid to get it if the price is right.

Maka