Montana tractor manual

/ Montana tractor manual #1  

Big_Charlie

Bronze Member
Tractor
Montana R4944HST
I just got through reading the manual for my new tractor and I must say that it was one hilarious read. :rolleyes: That has to be one of the worst and most humorous translations I've read in a long time. The only better one was the old test to be a Checkpoint Certified Firewall Engineer (I was a network geek in a former life) that was translated from Hebrew to English. Montana or LG really ought to employ a person or two to make some real sentences out of the gobbldegook that the translation program spits out. But hey, I've got no complaints about the machine the manual describes!

/ Montana tractor manual #2  
I had my tractor at the Montana Headquarters in springdale for a minor repair.
While I was there I asked about a manual for the tractor. I was told that Montana had hired someone to disasemble and reasemble a tractor and derive a manual from that. They expected that to be ready in about a year.

/ Montana tractor manual #3  
I have agree that the owner's manual is in intersting read. For the most part, a person can get the information can get the information they need from it as long as one takes their time in making interpretations of the translations.

Otherwise, I am very happy with my purchase. Boughta 4940 open cab last April and have had no complaints.

/ Montana tractor manual #4  
Mike at AGBAG told me that he had heard that the manual was all translated by computer, from Korean to English, probably without benefit of anyone proficient in either language. I'm tending to believe that, as I had access to late 70's repair manuals for Kubota and Yanmar machines, which of course was before computers took over our lives. Japanese and American techies used Swedish linguists back then, to prepare us for a future time, when John Deere started putting Japanese engines in their small tractors in the early 80's. I've just repaired everything I could, using common sense, If I can't figure it out, or looks like I might damage something, it goes to the dealer.
Sidey

/ Montana tractor manual #5  
Have to agree as to the manual.Maybe i'll get a 9 yr old to decipher it for me,they're pretty good with Rubic's cubes.
Anyone order a factory service manual,was wondering if they're any better.

/ Montana tractor manual #6  
At least you got a manual - When I got my 4944hst, I was told that the manuals were being printed. Then I was told that they are being re-done so it will be awhile.

/ Montana tractor manual #7  
onsight said:
At least you got a manual - When I got my 4944hst, I was told that the manuals were being printed. Then I was told that they are being re-done so it will be awhile.

"Manuals? We don't need no stinking manuals" :D Of course, this is adapted from the famous line in the movie The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, but it applies.
Bob

/ Montana tractor manual #8  
I have to agree on the manual. The part that bothers me is the lack of details in description and photos. Anyway, I know I read somewhere on here about an adjustment on the starting of the PTO shaft. I have the 5740C and it starts the PTO with a vengeance. I used my brush hog to mow my pasture this summer and I had to put several shear pin bolts in the drive line. Then I went and bought an override clutch from Tractor Supply. I even then had to back the clutch way down to avoid shearing the mounting bolts.
So does anyone know the process of softening the start of the PTO?
Thanks,
Jim

/ Montana tractor manual #9  
JimmyBean said:
So does anyone know the process of softening the start of the PTO?
Thanks,
Jim

Engine RPM at idle then spool up to engine speed required to run PTO at 540?
Bob

/ Montana tractor manual #10  
Hi Bob,
That's what I always do, but this has such a hard start that it just bangs my equipment to death. I am hoping that there is an adjustment somewhere to soften the engagement.
Jim