Initial Service`

/ Initial Service` #1  

Dallas_Lilly

Gold Member
Tractor
Montana 4340C
The dealer just did the initial 50 hr service on my 3040. They changed the engine oil, engine filter and hydraulic filter. They did this at no charge wich I am very thankfull for. When they delivered the tractor a year ago part of the paper work was a pre-delivery check list which included this service. I was looking at my owner's manual today and it states to change the hydraulic/trans as well as the front axle oil during the intial 50hr. My question is should I change the hyd and axle fluid my self? I am leaning that way but wanted to get input from people that have already been through this. Also what type of fluid should go in the hyd/trans - just UTF? And what about the axle 80W90?

/ Initial Service` #2  
Hi Dallas; for a detailed answer to your questions, please go to the "Mahindra" category, and read my recent thread, "did my own 50 hr service". Hopefully you will enjoy it!.......

/ Initial Service`
Any Ideas about what type of fluid to use - the book is really vauge and talks about LG caltex fluid.

/ Initial Service` #5  
If the dealer changed your Hyd fluid, that took care of the transmission. You will just need to change the fluid in the rear axles and the front axle.

Use the same Hyd fluid in the rear axles that the dealer used to service your Tranny/Hyds. Use a 80 or 90 weight gear oil for the front axle.

/ Initial Service`
Dealer did not change the hydraulic fluid. I am going to change it my self. Should I just use UTF?

/ Initial Service` #7  
Dealer should drain and check EVERY lubricating oil in the tractor, and replace EVERY filter, on the 50 hour checkup. This ensures that the tractor is operating correctly, and not grinding gears, or other incompatible parts. Had a little go around on my tractor during break in period, dealer was very good about finding out about the problem. The Montanas are a new product, and your dealer should be checking EVERYTHING on the initial, or 50 hour service, for free I might add. Mine did , and fixed a factory flaw ,immediatly upon notice of the problem. Did a check on the antifreeze today, and noticed that it was not set up for very cold weather. Have been complaining to the dealer all summer that my tractor wasn't running cool enough due to the radiator and prescreen, but will be changing antifreeze tomorrow to a good 50/50 mix. Could help when the weather starts warming up again too.

/ Initial Service` #8  
BRUSHTAMERS said:
Dealer should drain and check EVERY lubricating oil in the tractor, and replace EVERY filter, on the 50 hour checkup. This ensures that the tractor is operating correctly, and not grinding gears, or other incompatible parts. Had a little go around on my tractor during break in period, dealer was very good about finding out about the problem. The Montanas are a new product, and your dealer should be checking EVERYTHING on the initial, or 50 hour service, for free I might add. Mine did , and fixed a factory flaw ,immediatly upon notice of the problem. Did a check on the antifreeze today, and noticed that it was not set up for very cold weather. Have been complaining to the dealer all summer that my tractor wasn't running cool enough due to the radiator and prescreen, but will be changing antifreeze tomorrow to a good 50/50 mix. Could help when the weather starts warming up again too.

I have to say that I agree with you on everything except the "for free, I might add" part. It is being paid for one way or another. There is a lot of oil in a tractor, at least three filters changed, and a lot of labor time. Could also be transportation. Some dealers will add this to the initial cost of the tractor so that the customer will bring it back to have it done. This insures that it gets done as it is included and not an out of pocket expense for the customer, but they have paid for it. This is a VERY good idea because it gives the dealer a chance to look for problems and retain a happy customer.

Please keep in mind that every customer is different and some see value differently than others. I get all these details sorted out during the sale.

I do the 50 hour service at a very low price, but NOT free and I don't want people to think this is something that the dealer should be doing or Montana provides for the dealers.

I don't include it in the price because many customers today are very demanding on a low price but I will add it in if they want.

Thanks,
Ken

/ Initial Service`
Ken,
What fluid do you use in the trans/hydraulic?

I am by no means expecting the dealer to do this for free. Like I said in the origianal post he did change the engine oil, engine filter, and hydraulic filter for FREE and I am very gratefull for that. What he was going to do at 50hrs was spelled out very clearly when I purchased the tractor and he did everything he said he would.

/ Initial Service` #10  
Universal tractor hyd/tranny oil is what goes in there. Too many confusing part numbers in the manual!!

A general rule is that universal tractor oil can always be used in a hydraulic system but hydraulic oil can't always be used in a tractor. If you have a log splitter around or any other hydraulic equipment, you can just keep the universal tractor oil around and not have another pail in the way.

Pay close attention to the book as you are actually draining and filling five areas. The outer axle extensions and inner extensions are actually sealed from the main tranny/hydraulic area and need to be drained and filled.

Ken