Montana 5740 C to the rescue

/ Montana 5740 C to the rescue #1  

BRUSHTAMERS

Silver Member
Tractor
Montana 5740 C
It doesn't snow around here much, so the stepson has never really driven in icy conditions. What the pictures don't show are the Jeep Wrangler behind the tractor with the 9000# winch. Neither one of us could quite pull the pickup up far enough to get the rear tires on the ground, and the front tires were just barely in the water. Between the winches steady pull, and the tractors weight, we just managed to get it out of the ditch. Could have been a different story if he had gone into that ditch sideways. Sidey

Attachments

• Big Snow 2007 008 (Medium).jpg
    Big Snow 2007 008 (Medium).jpg
    104 KB · Views: 527
  • Big Snow 2007 010 (Medium).jpg
    Big Snow 2007 010 (Medium).jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 506
   / Montana 5740 C to the rescue #2  
Glad your stepson was all right. Just not much you can do on ice, even with four wheel drive.

/ Montana 5740 C to the rescue #3  
Good job with not too much room to work.

/ Montana 5740 C to the rescue #4  
BRUSHTAMERS said:
It doesn't snow around here much, so the stepson has never really driven in icy conditions. What the pictures don't show are the Jeep Wrangler behind the tractor with the 9000# winch. Neither one of us could quite pull the pickup up far enough to get the rear tires on the ground, and the front tires were just barely in the water. Between the winches steady pull, and the tractors weight, we just managed to get it out of the ditch. Could have been a different story if he had gone into that ditch sideways. Sidey

*Nestles into his ARMCHAIR for his take* ;)

I think you could pulled him out with just the tractor with just a little shuffling. If you had pulled with the tractor where the front pickup is pulled off the road with one set of tires off the road and one on with the Dif. locked you would have had enough traction to get him out. The back end might have slid some, but but if it was so slick the tractor did not have enough traction, then no harm was going to be done to the Ranger.

* out of the armchair now*

Good work. Looks like good winter fun. Wish I was there for the extrication. Soon as the ice started this way I put my chain in my 3/4 Ton Dodge 4X4.... Never know when someone (or me) may be in that predicament.

/ Montana 5740 C to the rescue
Thought about a sideways haul, but the transmission crossmember was the pivot point, and was kind of afraid to get the rig parallel to the ditch, and then lose traction. Our next option was to find a long line or winch and hang a block on a fairly big hemlock across the road, about 20' to 30' up to get enough lift to pull the back end up bodily onto the road. I might add that this road is in a State Park and considered a State Highway. No official flaggers, no official signs, no officials. I know the Park manager pretty well, but we didn't ask, and I hope he doesn't either. Never held up traffic for more than five minutes, which is more than I can say from when I worked there.

Attachments

• Big Snow 2007 007 (Medium).jpg
    Big Snow 2007 007 (Medium).jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 293
   / Montana 5740 C to the rescue #6  
I bet you don't have to tell him to slow down on wet/icy roads anymore. Some lessons have to be learned. Glad he wasn't hurt, might have been different had he hit that bridge pillar.

/ Montana 5740 C to the rescue #7  
BRUSHTAMERS said:
Thought about a sideways haul, but the transmission crossmember was the pivot point, and was kind of afraid to get the rig parallel to the ditch, and then lose traction. Our next option was to find a long line or winch and hang a block on a fairly big hemlock across the road, about 20' to 30' up to get enough lift to pull the back end up bodily onto the road. I might add that this road is in a State Park and considered a State Highway. No official flaggers, no official signs, no officials. I know the Park manager pretty well, but we didn't ask, and I hope he doesn't either. Never held up traffic for more than five minutes, which is more than I can say from when I worked there.

OH! Now I see. Wow. That was a deeper ditch than I thought. Looked more shallow from my armchair. :D I stand corrected. lol