3-Point Hitch Three Point Hitch wont lower

/ Three Point Hitch wont lower #1  

gemini5362

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana 4940C
I went to use the three point hitch on my montana and it would not go down. I tried pushing it down with my hands and could not get it to budge an inch. I tried moving the control lever up and down several times. The first time I did it the 3ph went to the top of its travel but would not go down. I called wayne at montana and he said it sounded like the valve was stuck. He recommended going to the control valve under the seat that controls the speed of the hydraulics and turn it from stop to stop a few times. I tried this and it went back to working perfectly.

/ Three Point Hitch wont lower #2  
Gemini,

I have been having the same problem with my 4944. It has around 10 hours on it. I talked to the dealer I bought it from and he said it needed a new valve. I scheduled an appointment with a new dealer that is closer, and he told me it would be a half day job. Turned out they had to order gaskets for the valve as well, so it has been there for the last 5 days and the dealer doesn't think he will have it done for another couple of days.

The new valve may be something to check in to if you are still having problems.

/ Three Point Hitch wont lower
MT Montana said:
Gemini,

I have been having the same problem with my 4944. It has around 10 hours on it. I talked to the dealer I bought it from and he said it needed a new valve. I scheduled an appointment with a new dealer that is closer, and he told me it would be a half day job. Turned out they had to order gaskets for the valve as well, so it has been there for the last 5 days and the dealer doesn't think he will have it done for another couple of days.

The new valve may be something to check in to if you are still having problems.

it has done it one time since I posted this the fix they gave me works for it i just basicalaly change the valve from slow to fast and back a couple of times and it works. I might look into a new valve if it does it again

/ Three Point Hitch wont lower #4  
The dealer called me back tonight. They haven't got the valve on, and think it may be something besides the valve. They really didn't know what the problem is. He thought it may be some sort of safety device, but I see that as an unlikely safety device. He also told me to turn the valve and it would work, which I knew, but with only 10 or so hours on the tractor I really want to get it fixed while it is under warranty. He was going to do some calling tomorrow and try and figure it out. I will keep you posted.

/ Three Point Hitch wont lower #5  
Went to the dealer today to get the rototiller from my 4944 that is in the shop. They showed me what had happened and why the 3 point wouldn't lower. The piston that raises and lowers the three point is bigger than the cylinder, so at some point it got bound up in there and then popped loose. When it came loose the rod hit the casing with so much force it cracked it. So at this point they are waiting on parts. So if anyone else is having problems, this very well could be what is wrong.

/ Three Point Hitch wont lower
This is interesting if you turned the valve it would work or they think it would work. that is what happened to mine and I turned the valve to fix it. Is that what they are saying happened turn the valve and when it works it cracks the caseing ?

/ Three Point Hitch wont lower #7  
QUOTE: " The piston that raises and lowers the three point is bigger than the cylinder"

MT Montana, Are you saying that the piston is to long for barrel of the cylinder?

/ Three Point Hitch wont lower #8  
No, not too long, too wide. The mechanic said he had to beat it out with a sledge hammer. And that subsequently ruined the piston as well because the top of it was scored from where he was beating on it. But he said there was no other way he could get it out.

/ Three Point Hitch wont lower #10  
Well it only has about 10 hours on it and less than an hour of 3 point use, so it didn't work very well when it was in use.