4940C transmission problem.

/ 4940C transmission problem. #1  

Texasgreen

Silver Member
Tractor
06 Montana 4940C/R4/FEL arched boom.
Hard to believe it but my 4940C laid down on me 3-27-07. With only 103 hrs on my tractor the transmission has locked up. As I was mowing my pasture my tractor came to a quick and violent halt. My first thought was that my flail mower picked up something and became bound up and causing the tractor to stop like it did. I checked everything out and nothing was caught up in the mower and the pto shaft would turn by hand. I started the engine back up and tried to run the pto. The pto would not engage in either manual or independent and yes the implement was down low, I know about the limit switch that will shut down the pto when the three point is up high. After the pto wouldn’t work, I tried to get my tractor back to the barn to park it and call my Montana dealer. When I tried to go forward and get out of my pasture, my tractor made a bad gear clashing noise under the cab and the engine died in an instant. So I tried again and at that point it would not go into any forward gear. I tried all ranges and gears and still no luck. It would back up, but not very easily I could tell it was in a bind.

My Montana dealer came and picked up my tractor the next day 3-28-07. I’ll keep yall posted on what we find and how well Montana handles this problem. Has anybody else had this problem yet?

/ 4940C transmission problem. #2  
MY 4340C PTO QUITE WORKING LITE COMES ON FUSE IS GOOD AND THIER IS POWER AT SOLENOID SWITCH, WHERE IS THIS CUTOUT SWITCH TO SHUT DOWN PTO IF IT IS TO HIGH

/ 4940C transmission problem.
LAZYJ10. Watch out! I too was having problems with my PTO coming on and staying on just before my transmission locked up on me. The PTO lift limit switch is under the cover where the three point lift handle is. If you look in the slot on the cover where the three point lift handle travels up and down, you'll see the switch at the top under the cover. You should be able to hear the switch click just before the three point handle is in the full lift position.

/ 4940C transmission problem. #4  
Sorry to hear of your tranny problems Texasgreen. Definitely sounds bad from your description of the symptoms. Keep us posted, will be interesting to know what the cause of the problem was and how Montana deals with it.

I found out today that my tractor is going back to Springdale, Arkansas for repairs on the PTO. What a bummer that it has to go there and not back to my home where it’s needed very badly. Going on three weeks and still not fixed. I know my dealer worked on it the best they could.

/ 4940C transmission problem. #6  
Well that is bad news Texasgreen. Any chance of Montana hooking you up with a loaner while yours in in the shop?

TillerofdaEarth

I talked to my dealer about a loaner tractor. I really need one because my hay fields are dry enough for me to start working in them and I dont have a tractor to work with. Talk about make you mad when you drive down the road and you can see other people working in their hay fields and knowing you cant. My dealer said that they would have to ask a Montana territory manager about a loaner tractor. Still have not heard back from Montana on this issue yet. I'll keep ya'll posted.

What a surprise. When I got in from work today there was a nice shinny Montana 4940C in my driveway with the keys in it. Montana told me that my tractor was fixed and it’s ready for service. I was told that there was a missed drilled shift fork shaft that broke and let the shifting forks to fall into the transmission when it broke. I was also told that there was an odd spring found in the bottom of the transmission also that was not needed. I’d say I am very happy with Montana and Eddy Tractor in Baytown, TX for the way they handled everything.

/ 4940C transmission problem. #9  
Glad to hear you got your tractor back!! Kudos to Montana for the quick turnaround time, since it had to go back to Springdale for repair.