Opinion on MTD lawn tractor

/ Opinion on MTD lawn tractor #1  

ZJ_HR

Gold Member
Tractor
'02 Same Argon70 4WD, '81 Store 402 4WD
Does anybody have expreience with MTD Yard Machines lawn tractor shown
http://www.yardmachines.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10451_18503_89515_36254_-1?

It cost about 2000$ here, and is one of cheapest possible to buy here.

As I have 2 other ag tractors, this one will be used for maintainig about 1-1.5ac of grass with weeds without bush (not lawn). As this is yard and old orchad, my tractors are too big for that task.

Can it be good solution for that task, and is it worth 2000$?

Another choice is yard Man 46" with V-twin 23HP B&S engine, but is 3000$, and seems expensive to me. Something like http://www.yardman.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10201_16503_167141_32801_-1

Another choice is used grey Yanmar, but it cost about 4000$ up

Attachments

• mPA242283.JPG
    mPA242283.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 4,448
   / Opinion on MTD lawn tractor #3  
These tractors are made for the low end bottom of the line market. They will work if the mowing is not to challanging and you keep up the maintance. These tractors may or may not have mower spindles with grease fittings, the transmissions may or may not be serviceable. My thoughts would be to look for a used more up scale John Deere or Cub Cadet mower for the same money. Not knowing the conditions where you are it is a little hard to give good advice.

Good luck

Q Man

/ Opinion on MTD lawn tractor
q man said:
These tractors are made for the low end bottom of the line market. They will work if the mowing is not to challanging and you keep up the maintance. These tractors may or may not have mower spindles with grease fittings, the transmissions may or may not be serviceable. My thoughts would be to look for a used more up scale John Deere or Cub Cadet mower for the same money. Not knowing the conditions where you are it is a little hard to give good advice.

Good luck

Q Man

As you can see from my profile, I'm from Croatia, Europe.
JD isn't here what is in US (except Ag division), so we have limited choice. And, there are no used ones, as you sugest (I will look there first).
Anyway, thanks for advice.

/ Opinion on MTD lawn tractor #5  
If the old yard/orchard is clear of fallen trees and shrubs and not too rough, then the MTD should last for a few years. Just be careful with it, and drive slow to avoid too much bouncing around. If the grass is high and thich, keep the deck raised to avoid loading the engine. These machines have lower end engines that can be damaged quickly from loading. But if you're careful about what you're doing, it will last long enough...

/ Opinion on MTD lawn tractor #6  
Do you really need a new mower?

I would recommend looking for a used mower that is only a few years old. I picked up a 1986 Murray 12.5hp ridding mower at the start of the summer for only $200. Guess what? It runs and cuts grass just as good as any other mower.

Who would have thought that a low end Murray would be mowing fine 20 years later. :rolleyes:

/ Opinion on MTD lawn tractor #8  
I had a 17.5 hp MTD with 42" cut, hydro trans., for 6 years, until someone stole it 3 weeks ago. Had it locked in the tractor shed at our place in the country (weekends only). I cut about 2 acres with it about 12-15 times a year, and never had a problem. Just kept the blades sharpened, change the oil every year, and replaced the rear tires. And really, I cut through some small brush and rough areas with it with no problem. I paid about $825 back then for a reconditioned unit from Lowe's.

Went looking for another one to replace my old one, but I only plan on keeping it for a year or so until the place sells. Found an MTD Yard Machine, 13.5 hp, 38" cut, 6 spd. trans. also reconditioned at Home Depot. Orig. $849, reduced to $600. I offered the mgr. $500 for it and he took it. Decent low end used units around here are advertised for $400-600 so hopefully I can sell it for what I got in it. For the price, you can't beat 'em IMO.

/ Opinion on MTD lawn tractor #9  
I've got a 38" cut 12.5hp MTD that I bought new in 1994 and still use it once in a while. I have replaced the spindle bearings once. I blow off the deck with my air compressor after every use.
I call it my "Baby Bushhog". I live on 2 acres. When I bought my property it was in foreclosure and vacant for over a year and a half. the grass was 2' tall. I would go very slow with the discharge shute tied up. After making one cut I came back and did a half a cut and could go faster. I cleared most of the 2 acres with it.
I very much like the "Shift on the Go" , it uses a varriable speed pulley to do this, no transmission. What I like is you put it in the fastest gear that you want to run in. Then when you come up to a tree or other object you just push down on the brake peddle and it slows down or push more and it will stop. Let off of the peddle and it will speed right back up smoothly.
I would buy another one in a minute! I have a diesel tractor now though.

/ Opinion on MTD lawn tractor #10  
I'm on my second MTD in 13 years. I mow about 6 acres. First one was a 38" cut with a 12.5 Briggs and Scrapiron I/C motor. Ran great until the wife mowed the lawn. My new one is 3 years old, 50" cut with a 25 horse Briggs and Scrapiron. Had trouble getting a deck spindle for it. Wife is not allowed on it. I don't hang curtains and she don't mow lawn. Took over a month to get a the spindle. Pretty good mower, but I notice a lot more light duty plastic junk on the new one. I think next mower, I'll get a Simplicity from the local guy.