Yanmar YM1610 and MTD Lawn Tractor Tiller, Any Advice Appreciated

/ Yanmar YM1610 and MTD Lawn Tractor Tiller, Any Advice Appreciated #1  

chief corpsman

:) Hello everyone, I'm a newbie to the forum and this is my first post.
I've been reading and appreciate the helpful members here. Wish I had more experience with PTO shafts but I do not. I'm thankful for finding this forum and for the knowledge of the members.

Recently I purchased a three point tiller that was the attachment for a 1986 Dayton/MTD lawn tractor. It's in real nice shape and I want to use it with my Yanmar YM1610.
I've made some modifications to the three point hitch and it will now line up correctly. The tiller came with a PTO shaft but the female yoke that connected to the lawn tractor was an odd spline size. I purchased a six spline quick disconnect and took the shaft to a machine shop. They cut off the odd end, welded on the new yoke which now works fine. I read the advice here about measuring for the correct shaft length and right now the shaft is back at the shop to be cut shorter. A question came to my mind after reading some threads here on the topic of an overrunning clutch.

Should I use an overrunning clutch to run the rotary tiller?

I have a 38" bushhog and mow grass without any problems.

Any advice will be much appreciated :)

Retired chief corpsman
USN

/ Yanmar YM1610 and MTD Lawn Tractor Tiller, Any Advice Appreciated #2  
Yes, you need an over-run clutch. I have been pushed too many times. I wish I could use one with my MMM, but it just won't work. I would not run a mower without one.

Having said that, you said that you didn't use one for your mowers. The tiller will shut down much quicker than the mower, so if you don't want one for your mower, you won't need one for your tiller.

But, again, personally, I would say yes, get a overrun clutch.

/ Yanmar YM1610 and MTD Lawn Tractor Tiller, Any Advice Appreciated
Thanks Jimmer, I really appreeessh :)

The small bushhog came with the tractor and didn't have an ORC. I really don't know anything about them and after reading thru some of the discussions I thought mabe I'd better ask someone.

I've never pulled a rotary tiller and I don't want to tear up anything so today I looked for a sheer pin on the tiller and didn't see one. Now I'm thinking the question I should have asked is do I need a slip clutch?

/ Yanmar YM1610 and MTD Lawn Tractor Tiller, Any Advice Appreciated #4  
chief corpsman said:
Now I'm thinking the question I should have asked is do I need a slip clutch?

You do need a slip clutch or shearpin for a tiller, but you don't need an ORC. If you have perfect ground with no rocks or roots, then you will probably get by without a slip clutch. If you do some tilling in a strange place or rocky soil, you will appreciate the added protection. On a small tractor, the slip clutch is probably not as important as on a larger tractor simply because the small tractor doesn't generate as much torque. But then, the implements are not that big either, and may easier to break a gearbox or drivechain. If you don't have much room, a shearpin takes up a lot less space than a slip clutch. It's also hard to know what size shearpin to use. No matter which you select, you will have some figgerin' to do.

/ Yanmar YM1610 and MTD Lawn Tractor Tiller, Any Advice Appreciated
Thank you for the advice jinman :)
You guys have been very helpful and I can't say thanks enough.
My Pa always told me the only dumb question is the one I didn't ask ;)

I hope the topic hasn't been too repetitive for long time members. Today I found this thread posted by Bedlam here last year >> http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/82846-power-take-off-slip-clutch.html

No doubt there are more threads as well. I'm trying the search feature and finding the right key words is a learning curve.

/ Yanmar YM1610 and MTD Lawn Tractor Tiller, Any Advice Appreciated #6  
Unless that tiller sets back from the tractor a lot farther that the OEM tiller, you will have a hard time adding anything in the drive line. The shaft that came with it is so short you would have a hard time using it with anything else between it and the tiller. I have been using a grey market tiller and tractor for a lot of years with out anything between the tractor and tiller.