MTD belt sizes

/ MTD belt sizes #1  

Chuck52

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L210
My five year old MTD 46" cut auto drive lawn tractor goes through a lot of belts, probably because I cut a lot of pretty tall grass. The belt I change most often is the belt which connects the manual PTO, or engine power, to the deck, as is probably normal. My manual gives the number for this belt as 754-0439 (new number 954-0439), but I've been replacing it with belts from my local NAPA auto parts store because they were easy to get. I'd just take the broken belt in and they'd find the match. This time the numbers were worn off and the kid behind the desk was lost. I ordered one from Pete's small engine, on line and they sent me a belt with a wrapper that has 954-0439 on it, but it is in fact a match for the deck belt instead. I needed one of those, too, so I'm not too unhappy with Pete's, but I still need the other belt. This is probably the same belt for any MTD made 46" cut lawn tractor with manual PTO made since about 1999. I've looked for conversion charts, MTD to NAPA, and it seems to me I saw one once, but I can't find it again. Pete's may come through for me; I sent them an e-mail describing the problem, but I figured lots of folks here probably have one of these mowers. Anyone know the dimensions, or a NAPA match, or a place I can order from and get the correct belt? I guess the "real" MTD site might have the numbers correct, but they also seem to want lots more $$$ for their belts than Pete's. I know the standard NAPA belts don't last as long as a belt designed for mowers, but I seem to get about a year off one, and I had to replace the original belt during the second year I had this mower. It is a POS, but it keeps cutting grass fairly well, so I'd like to get a few more years out of it.

Chuck

/ MTD belt sizes #2  
My five year old MTD 46" cut auto drive lawn tractor goes through a lot of belts, probably because I cut a lot of pretty tall grass. The belt I change most often is the belt which connects the manual PTO, or engine power, to the deck, as is probably normal. My manual gives the number for this belt as 754-0439 (new number 954-0439), but I've been replacing it with belts from my local NAPA auto parts store because they were easy to get. I'd just take the broken belt in and they'd find the match. This time the numbers were worn off and the kid behind the desk was lost. I ordered one from Pete's small engine, on line and they sent me a belt with a wrapper that has 954-0439 on it, but it is in fact a match for the deck belt instead. I needed one of those, too, so I'm not too unhappy with Pete's, but I still need the other belt. This is probably the same belt for any MTD made 46" cut lawn tractor with manual PTO made since about 1999. I've looked for conversion charts, MTD to NAPA, and it seems to me I saw one once, but I can't find it again. Pete's may come through for me; I sent them an e-mail describing the problem, but I figured lots of folks here probably have one of these mowers. Anyone know the dimensions, or a NAPA match, or a place I can order from and get the correct belt? I guess the "real" MTD site might have the numbers correct, but they also seem to want lots more $$$ for their belts than Pete's. I know the standard NAPA belts don't last as long as a belt designed for mowers, but I seem to get about a year off one, and I had to replace the original belt during the second year I had this mower. It is a POS, but it keeps cutting grass fairly well, so I'd like to get a few more years out of it.

Chuck

I have an older MTD 38" with the 6 or 7 speed "auto-drive" (variable speed pulley system). I can tell you that if I try and get a NAPA belt (standard inch and width "letter" size) for the trans. drive, it will not work. When I get the proper MTD belt (usually a Arnold-brand exact replacement) it works perfectly and lasts a long time. These MTD belts are obviously not an industry standard, and I think they are Kevlar reinforced for longevity. I hear this same story from other MTD owners as well. You should get the proper MTD (or Arnold-brand) replacement.

/ MTD belt sizes #3  
Take your belt to a Industrial belt shop. Tell them you want a matching , but HEAVY DUTY kevlar belt. They are abit more money, but are much better than what youd get at a auto parts.

If most of your belt is remaining, a good shop should be able to get you close. As long as you dont mow with it, they will likely exchange if its the wrong size.

You can also take a string or tape measure and wrap it around the circumference and use that measurement as a starting point.

The factory belts are kevlar ( at least on my craftsman /MTD).

/ MTD belt sizes
Thanks for the replies fellas. Turns out that O'Reilley Auto Parts stores now carry Gates kevlar lawn mower belts....they're green! I got a good match for my engine-to-deck (PTO) belt from them by matching the belt I replaced. It doesn't squeal when I engage the PTO the way the standard belts did. They can even match the MTD part numbers....but there's where it gets interesting. Apparently, at least for my machine, the numbers in my manual for the belts do not match the descriptions the after market matching software/papers pull up. They got the deck belt when they matched my PTO belt number. I triple checked my manual and even downloaded a copy from the MTD site. They can probably match any of the belts, but not with the MTD numbers. However, they do have the belts listed by the model of the mower and by description of use. I didn't go that route for the belt I replaced, but maybe that would work. It was correct for the 954-0349 belt. Their description said it was the deck belt, and that's what it was, both from Pete's small engine and from O'Reilley, even though they were from different manufacturers.

Pete's got back to me by e-mail, BTW, with their belt number from the description and model of my mower. They have good prices and cheap shipping. I got Oregon blades from them and what looked to be a good deck belt. However, I'll probably just get belts from O'Reilley now.

edit: The belt from Pete's was made by Stens, and says "OEM replacement belt" on the packaging, along with MTD numer 954-0349. Doesn't say it is kevlar reinforced however.

Chuck