Yardman (MTD) Garden Tractor Pricing

/ Yardman (MTD) Garden Tractor Pricing #1  

vrman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23 & ZD326P
I see someone has an 18hp garden tractor for sale with a 50" deck, snow plow and a busted tiller. Says it has a new motor in with about 30 hours on it. Looks like it is in decent shape. He's asking $2700 for it, does that sound like it is in the ballpark?

/ Yardman (MTD) Garden Tractor Pricing #2  
I see someone has an 18hp garden tractor for sale with a 50" deck, snow plow and a busted tiller. Says it has a new motor in with about 30 hours on it. Looks like it is in decent shape. He's asking $2700 for it, does that sound like it is in the ballpark?
MTD scares me .
How old is it?

/ Yardman (MTD) Garden Tractor Pricing
I believe it is a 1995 model 998. Have you heard of problems with MTD? I always thought they were pretty solid.

/ Yardman (MTD) Garden Tractor Pricing #4  
Check the bearings on the deck and be prepared to replace the blade belt whenever you cut long, damp grass.

My dad had a little MTD of about that vintage, and those were the main problems. He had a lot of hours on it though...large property and after he got Alzheimers he'd mow the same strip of grass for eight hours a day (only way to keep him off the big tractor)...and it ran okay until recently. Even with a questionable motor, a slipping transmission, and bad bearings, it brought $1200 at auction.

/ Yardman (MTD) Garden Tractor Pricing #5  
I believe it is a 1995 model 998. Have you heard of problems with MTD? I always thought they were pretty solid.
The 1995 Wards lawn tractor made by MTD was the worst tractor I ever owned.
Constantly had trouble with it.
It was a real aggravation.

/ Yardman (MTD) Garden Tractor Pricing #6  
IF it were a later model in great condition, it might be worth it, and I'm no expert on prices, so maybe it's worth what he's asking, but personally, I wouldn't even consider it. If I needed something like that, in that price range, I'd go to Sears and buy a new Craftsman.

/ Yardman (MTD) Garden Tractor Pricing #7  
I see someone has an 18hp garden tractor for sale with a 50" deck, snow plow and a busted tiller. Says it has a new motor in with about 30 hours on it. Looks like it is in decent shape.
1a*He's asking $2700 for it, does that sound like it is in the ballpark?

1b*I believe it is a 1995 model 998. Have you heard of problems with MTD? I always thought they were pretty solid.
1c*With a BX 23 why are you intrested in the MTD?

/ Yardman (MTD) Garden Tractor Pricing #8  

For that price you could buy a 154 cub

/ Yardman (MTD) Garden Tractor Pricing #9  
He's asking $2700 for it, does that sound like it is in the ballpark?

YIKES!!! and ah..... NO! For giggles I looked in my blue book for this tractor. $183 for the tracor $95 for the tiller and $45 for the plow. These are average trade values for that machine. The retail for about $450.00 You can make up your mind wether the new motor is worth the extra money. Just don't want to see you throw your money away.

/ Yardman (MTD) Garden Tractor Pricing #10  
This is a pun thread isn't it? It's just got to be a joke. No joke.