mtd 14 speed hi-low transaxle question

/ mtd 14 speed hi-low transaxle question #1  

tpolley

i got a '98 or '99 mtd yard machines last night. it has a 18.5hp briggs and, what they call, a 14 speeed hi-low transaxle which is 7 hi and 7 low. the engine doesn't run (yet) but i'm curious about the transaxle. i can't seem to find any specs on it or how it works. some are suggesting that the transaxle is 2 speeds hi-low and that the 7 speeds are via a complex belt setup. i was able to locate a parts catalog and it shows one belt going to a big transaxle which leads me t believe it's all gears which would be desirable, right?

the parts catalog says the part number for the transaxle is 618-0312 which, if you google it, that number rolls to 753-0837. i can't find specs on either one.

if its a good stong transaxle i will try and get the tractor running and maybe restore it but if its a cheapy, weak belt setup i may not jack with it.

Attachments

• IMG00024.jpg
    IMG00024.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG00027.jpg
    IMG00027.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 370
   / mtd 14 speed hi-low transaxle question #2  
The transaxle is a two speed transaxle and the 7 speeds is obtained through a variable pulley system that works like the torque converter on a snowmobile. the speed selector lever only allows the pulley to move to the rear so far and then the rear belt takes up the slack in the belts by moving the center part of the pulley. In the low speed position the bottom of the pulley is big and the top is small. In the high speed setting the bottom is small and the top is big.