Huskee drive belt installation

/ Huskee drive belt installation #1  

four_by_ken

I have been looking to see the trick for replacing this belt, but have come up empty.

This is '96 (I think)... MTD/Huskee 54 inch cut Supreme Garden Tractor. The MTD part number is 13AP625K730.

I have the new belt read to go on.... the deck is pulled out.

A few issues... the guides on the side of the drive pulley will not allow me to slip the new belt back on. They are not removeable, they are part of the 'deck' that the motor bolts to. Problem 1.

In order to get the belt onto the drive pully, I need to remove the deck pulley and also the clutch mechanism. But, in order to do that, I need to stop the motor from spinning to loosen the bolt on the shaft. But, there is no where to grab the crank and the drive deck pulley, clutch and drive pulley take up all the shaft. So, there is no where to grab.

Any hints or tricks on this?

/ Huskee drive belt installation
From looking around, looks like its the same as some Cub tractors.

I think getting the deck pulley and the clutch off would be the easiest way... but, I dont know how to get it off?!?!?
If I go that direction, I will need to cut the guides off in order to get the belt on.

/ Huskee drive belt installation #3  
Ken:

Going by memory here, on my Husqvarna riding mower, I think I was able to use a long screwdriver as a lever to pull the idler pulley in so I could get the belt over it.

I know the belt doesn't last long if you don't get it inside all the guides! :D

/ Huskee drive belt installation #5  
Used to sell Huskee's for TSC back in the day. . .actually about the time that this mower is from. The guides are tough to get by, but it can be done. Seems like there is one on each side? I usually just had to twist the belt a bit to get one side on and then used the tension from the belt on all the other pulleys to snap it on as I advanced a pulley here or there.

Point being I know you don't have to cut them off. Good luck.

/ Huskee drive belt installation #6  
It does sound much like my Cub. What a pain,,,,, Anyway, I found that the easiest way is to replace the belt is to (believe it or not) unbolt the motor. In my case I was able to rise the motor enough to get the old belt off and the new on installed. Removing the PTO is still another story. I ended up making a tool to hold the crank. If you look at the bottom of the PTO you should see that there are two flat spots and I was able to make a "wrench" to hold the shaft and get a socket wrench on the bolt that holds the PTO on.

As far a getting to Drive pulley off, be careful with what you try to do. Mine was so light weight that in trying to pull it, it bent. I was able to get it straighten however. That's when I decided that jscking up the motor was the only option.

The first time I replaced the belt took me about 4 hours. After installing a belt that was too long and slipping, it only took about 45 minutes the second time.

Hope this helps...

/ Huskee drive belt installation #7  
I had the same issue. Paid $30.00 at a small engine shop and let them bust their knuckles and use their time. :thumbsup:

/ Huskee drive belt installation #8  
got the same problem....the huskee supreme drive belt hanging loose will not engage... i guess it needs to be changed...dont know

/ Huskee drive belt installation
I forgot all about this thread. I ended up using an impact to get the pulley off... easy.

Used a big screw driver to bend the guides so that the new belt would fit. Been fine ever since.