MTD Split-it log splitter

/ MTD Split-it log splitter #1  

arrowhunter

Tractor
John Deere 317
I recently bought one of these, it's in good shape with the exception of the oil filler cap. It, of course, is no longer available from any parts place i can find. :( does anyone know if there is a valve of some kind in the cap? Oil will come streaming out of the little breather hole if I dont plug it with something. I assume there used to be a check ball or something in the cap. Thanks if anyone can help me out here.

/ MTD Split-it log splitter #2  
:welcome:

Would you post a pic of the splitter and where the cap (not in good shape or missing? ) goes, please.

Sounds like the oil reservoir may be too full, and comes out when it heats up.

A little more info would help. :)

/ MTD Split-it log splitter #3  
my troy built (made by MTD) has a vented plug that spits fluid if the hydraulic fluid level is too high. When you put it into the retract detent, when the cylinder fully retracts and the pressure builds, it will spit a few drops out of the vent hole until the valve returns to neutral.

have you looked at the MTD website for a manual?

/ MTD Split-it log splitter
Sorry I haven't had time for pics yet, I will post them soon I hope. The fluid is not over full and I do have a manual. It will spew fluid 4 feet in the air out of this tiny pencil lead sized hole. It looks to me like part of the cap is missing, like a one way vent or something. Parts breakdown in the manual is no help. I'll get pics soon.

Here are some pic of what I mean.

This is the cap location.

1024101224a.jpg

The "vent hole"

1024101225b.jpg

Here's the bottom, is some kind of one way valve or something supposed to be on the bottom of this cap?

1024101225a.jpg

I hope someone can shed some light on this problem. Thanks!

/ MTD Split-it log splitter #6  
Like others have said......too much oil in reservoir......that cap is vented for air to come and go......the reservoir has to leveled just right to find the sweet spot......

I wish that were the case. It will push nearly all the fluid out. If anything the level is too low.

/ MTD Split-it log splitter #8  
By "Leveled just Right" I meant the filler cap area on the reservoir has to be higher(splitter wedge lower)....otherwise it will push all the oil out....

Oh, that does make some sense, so you don't think there is anything wrong with my cap?

/ MTD Split-it log splitter #10  
Yep....:thumbsup:

You could take the cap off and the splitter would run the same.....(Tho don't leave it off-this is collect dirt/contamination)