Agway 11/38

/ Agway 11/38 #1  

man114

Anyone know what the equivilant MTD of this thing is, early to mid 80s, 11HP Briggs IC.

Bought on craigslist cheaply from a seller that said it would "choke itself out" this was nothing more than a dirty carb and siezed choke linkage. I was able to get it running properly and actually mowed the entire front lawn with it.

The other major problems is the plastic bushing where the steering linkage is is cracked, causing the tire to sit at a slight angle. If I can't find a proper part I was going to make my own from a piece of metal I'm sure it would be more durable anyway.

This and the ignition intermittently works. You have to have the key to run or it won't start but sometimes it won't crank from the switch and you have to jumper it to get it to crank. I suppose I could always wire another switch on to make it crankable since I don't have a wiring diagram.

I don't mind less than normal repairs so long as I can make it mostly functional for my purposes, I bought this mainly for the purpose of late fall mowing after I have the snowblower on the other tractor, that and mowing a top part of a lawn in a fenced in area that is hard to get the 46" deck on the other tractor through.

/ Agway 11/38
Put a couple of hours on it today blowing leaves around into piles in the yard. I hate to do it with my good tractor because its so dusty and messy. Whatever the carb issue was it is fixed. Ran without a problem, plenty of power.

The bushing for the wheel would be helpful, it doesn't really hurt anything except it makes the turning radius very poor. Other than that it was good to go.

/ Agway 11/38 #3  
hey , sorry so long for someone to answer your questions, been a while since I have been on here. If you still have any let me know. I will help any way I can. zman :D

/ Agway 11/38
Haven't really done a darn thing to it. I fiddled with the carb for a smoother idle but thats all. I messed around with the deck height to compensate for the slightly tilted wheel as it was easier than fixing the wheel which would involve removing the steering linkage. All it really does is make for a poor turning radius which you adjust to.

I've nicknamed it "The Beater". Still jumper the ignition with a screwdriver which I call "the starting stick". This has become something of an ongoing joke with my son as we drive it around the yard waving the "starting stick" yelling "beater!".

Other than that there really isn't much wrong with it, the deck has some rust but the bearings for the blades were redone at some point, so it cuts grass quite well. Suppose for the price I can't complain. Its probably logged more hours than my newer Craftsman tractor since I got it. Think the Craftsman has got about 20hrs in almost 2 years. I got about 5 blowing leaves last fall and have had my son cutting grass at my house and the neighbors with it all spring. I know the big lawn took about 2 hrs to do over there since it was so long and he had to mow at slow speed.

/ Agway 11/38
The steering ball joint popped on the linkage, anyone know if the current parts are the same? I suppose I could stomach the $10 I can get one for if its the same size still think its got a few mows left in it.

/ Agway 11/38 #6  
Do you have the Model # from the unit? Need that to cross over . I am sure that standard MTD bushings and ball joint will fit it.

/ Agway 11/38
I figured it out, but they changed them at some point in the mid 90s, Tractor Supply sells the old ones in two packs they're slightly more expensive. Between that and the nuts that keep coming undone which I've been replacing with locking nuts, it is still running. Guess I can't complain.