Building a Snow Plow :)

/ Building a Snow Plow :)
I have been looking at our pictures with interest. I now see what you are planning.

I made a copy of a Power King tractor and it worked but with limitations. When I added a Front End Loader and money was limited I used many used / surplus /car parts.
I had a older fellow worker over and I showed him my lift action. He was still very strong for his age and he was from an old european country. He said it was not strong enough and he said he could hold it down. So as I pulled the up lever and it was passing his waist height he put his strength to the bucket and he was steadily lifted off the ground.

I made the front lift cylinder from a single cylinder and I had to work around an engine.
I showed the lift action to some friends ( they supplied the cylinder ) and they had concerns that the action would not work. As they watched it rise up to its full 4' lift they commented Yup it works.
My tractor was returned to the surplus stream (scrape metal bin).
Bought a 8N ,sold it, bought a Kubota added a backhoe which I built a sub frame for.

Craig Clayton

Hi Mr. Clayton.

Only 1 wish, wish i live closer to you because i would be over your house everyday. you would have to call the Cops just to get rid of me, LOL

I see you got all the stuff I want LOL. Although I can't have it I still like to dream... LMAO.

I read some of your stuff today on here, see some pix too... Wow, I can learn alot from you ;)

Please give more advice once you find anything strange or need improvements. Thank you!

Last edited:
OK, so the Xmas is over..

Kinda busy plus it's cold out, I only did the Blade.

Had to spend some money to make it last longer.... What is the point making something that would NOT last :(

I bought a sheet of 20"X10' Galvanize Sheet, and some screws to make it look better, also some Paint to finish it ($30.00 total).

I figured, if I'm gonna get Shovels... Might as well buy the Galvanize Sheets and try it. it came out pretty good I must say. The Blade is about 23 1/2" so I had to double it, than brace it with the Brackets for heavy duty snow, LOL. Now it weight more than I expect it to be :(

Will post more Pix tomorrow afternoon :) Sorry for the delayed :p

Please Advice if you see anything wrong ;)

Before and After Pix below

Attachments

• Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 304
  • Front_View.jpg
    Front_View.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 384
  • Side_View.jpg
    Side_View.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 343
  • Close_Up.jpg
    Close_Up.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 245
   / Building a Snow Plow :) #13  
Very Impressive set up! I always thought about making one as well

/ Building a Snow Plow :) #14  
It looks like you will not have enough angle available to plow left or right. I would also trim the end of the plow's perpendicular vertical support so the spillage isn't obstructed. You may have to add strength at this area by making the 1/2" (?) X 1.5", (?) to 1/2 X 4". Good luck and drive gently.

It looks like you will not have enough angle available to plow left or right. I would also trim the end of the plow's perpendicular vertical support so the spillage isn't obstructed. You may have to add strength at this area by making the 1/2" (?) X 1.5", (?) to 1/2 X 4". Good luck and drive gently.

Yea, the Angle kinda stinks.... :(

I also wanted to trim the end off too, but haven't think throroughly just yet. Here is the Updated Pix, waiting for a Winch so the Strin you see in the Pix is where the Chains are and the Winch would pull to raise it. Please look at the Pix and see if you can help me on anything, any comments is Greatly Appreciated!

Attachments

• 100_0200.JPG
    100_0200.JPG
    281.6 KB · Views: 283
  • 100_0199.JPG
    100_0199.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 100_0198.JPG
    100_0198.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 333
  • 100_0197.JPG
    100_0197.JPG
    312.3 KB · Views: 362
  • 100_0201.JPG
    100_0201.JPG
    319 KB · Views: 244
  • 100_0202.JPG
    100_0202.JPG
    320.2 KB · Views: 355
  • 100_0203.JPG
    100_0203.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 100_0204.JPG
    100_0204.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 229
   / Building a Snow Plow :) #16  
I am not a wood person but I am very impressed. That angle may be enough for light to medium snow, I think it will work but it may not last long is you strike ice or an abject. Since your strings can hold it up if I were you I would abandon the winch idea and go with a reinforced diagonal bracket on the plow and a clamp on the deck adjustment handle. However you will need to incorporate some kind of swivel to permit the angle of the plow and the pitch of the adjustment handle.

On a side note, you may consider selling that plow and assembly to someone who admires wood products. You have done such a beautiful job that it is probably more valuable as art to a carpenter than a functional plow.

I am not a wood person but I am very impressed. That angle may be enough for light to medium snow, I think it will work but it may not last long is you strike ice or an abject. Since your strings can hold it up if I were you I would abandon the winch idea and go with a reinforced diagonal bracket on the plow and a clamp on the deck adjustment handle. However you will need to incorporate some kind of swivel to permit the angle of the plow and the pitch of the adjustment handle.

On a side note, you may consider selling that plow and assembly to someone who admires wood products. You have done such a beautiful job that it is probably more valuable as art to a carpenter than a functional plow.

Thank you for the Nice Compliments Zork! I was going to try and use the Winch from Harbor Freight since it was Cheap $50 Bucks. If all failed, I would get a Snow Plow for my MTD and use the Winch for Automatic Lifting.

On the Swilvel part, I was going to use a Spring Loaded Pin and add a 12V Motor to it to pull it up and release the Pin. My only problem to that is I need a 3 Point Holes somewhere on the Bracket so the Pin would Lock into each hole. Still haven't got to that part yet because my 12V Motor I got suck too much Power from the Battery.

Anyone here knows why? Everytime I test the 12V Motor, first it's OK then the Motor start to slow down and then just slow down the pace, if I stop it and restart it again it will be fine, then it came back to the same thing again, really strange!

/ Building a Snow Plow :) #18  
The motor wattage or amp draw is probably too high for your alt. Or its drawing so much that a bad connection heats up and increases resistance, I'm not sure I follow on the 3 hole deal- is that to make it an auto angle?

The motor wattage or amp draw is probably too high for your alt. Or its drawing so much that a bad connection heats up and increases resistance, I'm not sure I follow on the 3 hole deal- is that to make it an auto angle?

hmmmm, gonna have to double check on that.

Yes, the 3 holes are for the Auto Angle.

1- Left
2- Center
3- Right

This method is to Lock in the angle of the Blade, also take extra Force too not just where the Pivot is.

Last edited:
   / Building a Snow Plow :) #20  
It is visually impressive, you do nice finish work. My concern is what is to keep the bottom of the plow from being pulled under the mount where the hinges pivot?