MTD 36" Snow Thrower 190-491-000

/ MTD 36" Snow Thrower 190-491-000 #1  

rgs03833

Gold Member
Tractor
MTD 660, 690 - John Deere 60, 70, 108, 2 of 111, 111h, STX38
Hi, I have a 1996 MTD 600 36" Deck and just got a Snow Thrower recently. I really need some help with this one. The Instructions kinda confusing, I'm pretty much have everything on the Tractor and it's working ok.

My only problem now is that it's always engaged and that is NOT right because it's dangerous first of all. Also, it's hard to start the Tractor because there are so many pulleys and also the Snow Blade in front.

I am enclosing and example of a Part ( Page 11 - Clutch Rod-at front of slot " that didn't come with the Thrower I bought on CL's. Then on another Page (20) it said I can use the same principle " Clucth Rod " to do the same thing but attaching it to the Stabilizer Shaft Assembly. It will do the same thing, supposedly :confused:.

Page 11- Figure 22, Page 20- Figure B (stabilizer rods)

PDF Manual Included

Anyone on here have something like this? and how did you do it? Do you have any pix you can share? Thank you !!!

http://needmanual.com/dcicd-downloa...al.html&dcid=3e9f998dd4c4306729dc8d2b05017527

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 354
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 663
   / MTD 36" Snow Thrower 190-491-000 #2  
Looks like on pages 11 and 12 of the complete manual the thrower is disengaged when you have the LIFT handle fully up and locked. The system engages when you lower the lift handle. So, the snow thrower has to be lifted off the ground to the highest position in order to disengage from the engine and also start the engine.

/ MTD 36" Snow Thrower 190-491-000
Looks like on pages 11 and 12 of the complete manual the thrower is disengaged when you have the LIFT handle fully up and locked. The system engages when you lower the lift handle. So, the snow thrower has to be lifted off the ground to the highest position in order to disengage from the engine and also start the engine.

Zork? Yes you are correct!!!

But my problem is that I'm missing Clutch Rod ( Page 11 - figure 22 ). But there is another alternative is that you can use is on Page 20 using Stabilizer Rods and attaching it to the Stabilizer Shaft Assembly.

:confused:

/ MTD 36" Snow Thrower 190-491-000 #4  
From what I could tell the stabilizer SHAFT assembly (X2 front and rear) are those welded lift arms your deck is normally attached to, two STABILIZER RODS connect the front stabilizer shaft to the rear stabilizer shaft, and both welded SHAFT arms may include a secondary movable arm, for raising and lowering, pg 20. Use the 13.67" long STABILIZER rod (from the stabilizer shafts, on pg 20, which is the stabilizer rod, pg 21 I think), on page 20 that connects to the welded stabilizer shaft lift arms. This new control rod (used stabilizer rod that connected the stabilizer front and rear SHAFTs) connects to the movable idler pulley on one end and the welded stabilizer shaft lifting arm on the other end. I reckon thats clear as mud? lol. I hope this helps.

****I cant really tell if this is an answer to your problem so you will need to see if this advice is correct and ONLY follow my advice if it is correct and the unit appears to tighten and loosen the belt accordingly while tested with the engine off.****

/ MTD 36" Snow Thrower 190-491-000 #5  
Just a bump to update the information above.

From what I could tell the stabilizer SHAFT assembly (X2 front and rear) are those welded lift arms your deck is normally attached to, two STABILIZER RODS connect the front stabilizer shaft to the rear stabilizer shaft, and both welded SHAFT arms may include a secondary movable arm, for raising and lowering, pg 20. Use the 13.67" long STABILIZER rod (from the stabilizer shafts, on pg 20, which is the stabilizer rod, pg 21 I think), on page 20 that connects to the welded stabilizer shaft lift arms. This new control rod (used stabilizer rod that connected the stabilizer front and rear SHAFTs) connects to the movable idler pulley on one end and the welded stabilizer shaft lifting arm on the other end. I reckon thats clear as mud? lol. I hope this helps.

****I cant really tell if this is an answer to your problem so you will need to see if this advice is correct and ONLY follow my advice if it is correct and the unit appears to tighten and loosen the belt accordingly while tested with the engine off.****

Hi Zork, You are correct once again....

I just figured it out, but guess What? There is only 1 - 13.67" Rob LOL

Back to square one :'(

Hmmm.... Maybe I can make a Rod up hehehehehe

Gonna go out and try to make a Rod, LOL

Thank You Zork!

/ MTD 36" Snow Thrower 190-491-000 #7  
Use that then because that rod goes to the rear arms which you wont be using, correct? Do a web search for your model because I think you can get the proper operations manual for it for free and you can see better what you have.

/ MTD 36" Snow Thrower 190-491-000 #8  
sent you a pm

sent you a pm

Hi Zork,

I got it to working. I made my own ROD :thumbsup:.

See Pix below;

Zork, Thank you very much for your knowlege and all your help and you're Very Mechanically Inclined !!!

Anyway, if you need Computer help, i'm your guy!:D

Now I feel SAFE and the Tractor turn on right away... Well with the Auger connected it was hard to start the engine with all the Pulleys... Now once I'm in IDLE, it doesn't pull the Auger.... The Clutch Rod was to release the Pulley Belt to the Snow Thrower and that was my problem.

Thankx a million!

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 541