MTD Briggs and Stratton Valve Engine - 313777-0163-E1

/ MTD Briggs and Stratton Valve Engine - 313777-0163-E1 #1  

rgs03833

Gold Member
Tractor
MTD 660, 690 - John Deere 60, 70, 108, 2 of 111, 111h, STX38
Hi guys....

My MTD VALVE COVER GASKET (BRIGGS & STRATTON # 272475S) is leaking Oil a bit once the Engine warm up a bit... Since the Muffler is right under there... You see Smokes from oil burning / drying...

Is there a way to clean the Valve Gasket and make it tighter or you have to replace it?

Is there another way to make a Gasket? Is it best just to replace it or go to an Auto Shop and get one that I can CUT it myself? and have any of you guys done it?

Thankx!!!

/ MTD Briggs and Stratton Valve Engine - 313777-0163-E1 #2  
due to the heat off the engine and the fact that the muffler is right under it, major source of heat, the gasket gets brittle and stiff over time and will start leaking. the best thing to do is replace it. If the valve cover has a flat surface (not the one with the embossed gussets to promote sealing) you can use a black rtv sealant instead of the gasket. Just make sure that there is no oil residue on the cover or head if you use sealant otherwise it will start leaking again.

wouldn't be a bad idea to check the valve clearances while you have the cover off. The 31 series engines always seem to have a issue with valve clearances changing.

/ MTD Briggs and Stratton Valve Engine - 313777-0163-E1
due to the heat off the engine and the fact that the muffler is right under it, major source of heat, the gasket gets brittle and stiff over time and will start leaking. the best thing to do is replace it. If the valve cover has a flat surface (not the one with the embossed gussets to promote sealing) you can use a black rtv sealant instead of the gasket. Just make sure that there is no oil residue on the cover or head if you use sealant otherwise it will start leaking again.

wouldn't be a bad idea to check the valve clearances while you have the cover off. The 31 series engines always seem to have a issue with valve clearances changing.

Hi RANDYT... Thank you for the quick and informative answer.

I have the Embossed OHV Cover... Can I still use the Sealant? I have a Sealant that can with stand 2000+ Degree for Fireplaces / Wood Stoves... Would that work? Or should I just at least try it? Nothing gonna hurt it right?

Also, since the Muffle is right under it, should I just move it to another location? I can move it with some Pipes... To prevent me from breathing the smokes... I hated the Muffler in the Front. I can get a Pipe and work it to the Back of the Tractor, that way the Smokes doesn't bother me. Also, may fix the Gasket problems in the Future...

Thank you !!!

RGS

/ MTD Briggs and Stratton Valve Engine - 313777-0163-E1 #4  
You can get the gasket from Ebay for $5.20

yes, I saw that with the Free Shipping.... It will take like 4-5 days to get here.... I was gonna see if there are other options or a quick fix for now. Was fixing it to sell it, someone is interested in it that's why... LOL

It doesn't leak that bad, just don't want them to say anything.... Maybe the Sealant I got will hold it for a while until it leaks... But that is being dishonest... I rather not, LOL

Thankx anyway....

/ MTD Briggs and Stratton Valve Engine - 313777-0163-E1 #6  

The MSRP on that gasket is $3.95. Alot of dealer seal at MSRP so go see the dealer first.

/ MTD Briggs and Stratton Valve Engine - 313777-0163-E1 #7  
I have the Embossed OHV Cover... Can I still use the Sealant? I have a Sealant that can with stand 2000+ Degree for Fireplaces / Wood Stoves... Would that work? Or should I just at least try it? Nothing gonna hurt it right?

Briggs says we can use the sealant on the flat ones not the embossed ones because it will leak. the embossing acts like a spacer and will prevent the cover from putting equal pressure all the way around.

Briggs says we can use the sealant on the flat ones not the embossed ones because it will leak. the embossing acts like a spacer and will prevent the cover from putting equal pressure all the way around.

yah, that make sense :thumbsup:... Thank you very much for your Support ;)

I will get a Gasket then... and Thankx all

RGS

/ MTD Briggs and Stratton Valve Engine - 313777-0163-E1 #9  
First reply here so please bare with me.

I have the same issue with my Craftsman tractor. I have ordered a new gasket which should be here early next week. Does anyone know of a website with instructions for replacing it or a manual that I can order. Doesn't seem that it should be all that difficult but it never hurts to have something to reference before just pulling things apart.

Thanks, Rob

/ MTD Briggs and Stratton Valve Engine - 313777-0163-E1 #10  
Just 4 3/8 bolts. Remove cover, clean all surfaces of old gasket and oil, replace gasket and tighten. I usually put the bolts through the cover and the new gasket before installing, because sometimes the gasket will curl somewhat and really leak because you will miss one of the bolt holes.