wont start 990

/ wont start 990 #1  

simpleman1

Tractor
1970-72 mtd 990
i have an early model 990 (1970-72) i was mowing my yard yesterday and i had to fill the tank, i shut it off filled up and it would not start again. i checked the battery full charge, the engine will turn over but still will not start. ANY IDEAS!! Could it be the solinoid?:confused:

/ wont start 990 #2  
i have an early model 990 (1970-72) i was mowing my yard yesterday and i had to fill the tank, i shut it off filled up and it would not start again. i checked the battery full charge, the engine will turn over but still will not start. ANY IDEAS!! Could it be the solinoid?:confused:

if it turn over with the key its not the solinold. check for spark what type of ignation dose have if battery power check that you have power at the coil.if magneto then check for spark at the points. let us know what you find and we can go from there:thumbsup:

/ wont start 990 #4  
Often when a mowers goes from running great to no start it is a safety switch issue such as neutral start, PTO, seat switch etc. Cant tell you how many times something gets moved or forgotten and after several rounds the offending switch is found or fixed.

/ wont start 990
Thanks for the info it turned out the points needed adjusting, just alittle fine tunning and it started right up.