How durable and reliable are MTD Lawn tractors?

/ How durable and reliable are MTD Lawn tractors? #11  
I've had my 18/46? since 1996; original belts and 3rd or 4th battery. Second set of blades, still mows perfectly. The front axle was rebuilt 8 years ago and I put a crankcase gasket in at that time.

/ How durable and reliable are MTD Lawn tractors? #12  
I bought a new MTD 46"cut, 16HP over 15 years ago and although I only cut 1/2 acre, I have used it to drag heavy objects and at times very tall grass. I only have had to replace normal things like idlers, belts, rebuilt carb and replaced starter solenoid. When the tires started leaking I put tubes in them and have gotten several years more out of them and they still have lots of tread. Never needed the MFG and found any replacement parts on line. Hope this helps, I wouldn't trade it!

/ How durable and reliable are MTD Lawn tractors? #13  
I bought a new MTD 46"cut, 16HP over 15 years ago and although I only cut 1/2 acre, I have used it to drag heavy objects and at times very tall grass. I only have had to replace normal things like idlers, belts, rebuilt carb and replaced starter solenoid. When the tires started leaking I put tubes in them and have gotten several years more out of them and they still have lots of tread. Never needed the MFG and found any replacement parts on line. Hope this helps, I wouldn't trade it!

:welcome: to TBN

/ How durable and reliable are MTD Lawn tractors? #14  
I've have a 1998 46" MTD Yardman still going every week and I have beat the daylights out it cutting close to 2 acres. Lots of steep hillside, rocks and roots. Replaced all the belts at least twice, 2 deck spindles, a front wheel axle, starter gear, choke cable and clip, 2 batteries and of course blades blades blades! Finally a new air cleaner. Tires are shot. Always annual oil changes. Can't remember when I last changed plugs :rolleyes:

/ How durable and reliable are MTD Lawn tractors? #15  
We got my Father In Law a MTD Yard Machine 38" cut (I think 12 HP) Briggs engine back in 2000. Other than tune up and oil/blade changes and batteries, the only problems it has give has been a tire that kept going flat (which we put a tube in) about 4 years ago, a bad needle and seat in the carburetor, requiring a carb kit, about 3 years ago, and 2 new belts last year. He mows alittle less than 1/2 an acre and the mower is garage kept. I would say that if you don't abuse the mower, keep the oil and filter changed, and keep up with maintenance and repairs, and keep your machine in dry storage, you'll get many years of good service from it.

I also have a rear engine Snapper, about 7 years old, which has given more trouble than my F-I-L's MTD! Parts are cheaper for the MTD and most are available at Lowes and Home Depot. My Snapper is easier to replace the blade on because of the standup bars on the back and that it is a single blade and the MTD is a duel blade deck. I believe that both the MTD and Snapper both have the same basic engines.

/ How durable and reliable are MTD Lawn tractors? #16  
I have had a few of them and was not impressed.I guess you get what you pay for.

/ How durable and reliable are MTD Lawn tractors? #17  
I had a '85 18 hp MTD built Sears Craftsman garden tractor with the 4 spd transaxle and I/C iron sleeve flat twin. I had it for 15 years and it ran good. Was reliable but low tech and obviously built to a price point, which is fine. Engine was quiet in comparison to the cheaper riding mowers with the 1 cylinder head bangers. The steering got sloppy over time and the rear discharge belly mower deck never produced what you would consider a quality cut. Was still running good when I sold it. I actually wish I kept it.

/ How durable and reliable are MTD Lawn tractors? #18  
I have had a few of them and was not impressed.I guess you get what you pay for.

I've found it to be the opposite, the more it cost, the higher the expectation, and the deeper the disappointment and the higher the cost of parts/labor to repair it when it does fail.

No way am I gonna spend 5 grand on something to mow my lawn. I look at this way, the 5 grand lawn mower may last you 30 years (it should anyway), the $800 may last 8 years, but buying the $800 mower every 8 years still comes out to be less money over 30 years-even with inflation.

Of couse, if your a professional, this doesn't apply, but for the guy with 1/4 acre to mow on Saturday morning, its all good. For this reason, I also don't go in for hydrostat clutches and the like. Yes, they are smoother but, hey it's a lawn mower not a Lexus, so I say keep it simple and cheap! Nothing worse than wasting your Saturday on a mower that won't run or won't run well, I got that, but I've never followed the idea of spending more insures quality! Most of these things have the same engine, anyway.

Of course there is brand loyality and asking which make is best is like asking which is better, Ford or Chevrolet.

I'm with the guy that said the best mower is the free one on Craigslist.

/ How durable and reliable are MTD Lawn tractors? #19  
<-----
15 years old.
Still runs, rides, and cuts with the best of them. No major repairs or overhauls. My old place had a drain field mound about 4' high with around 30 deg slopes. It would pull me right up while throwing grass without even skipping a beat.
<-----

Last edited: