TSC Huskee (MTD) B&S smoking on right cylinder.

/ TSC Huskee (MTD) B&S smoking on right cylinder. #1  

SandyTX

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4300
Hi everyone.

Picked up a 6 year old 22HP (Briggs OHV) Huskee Tractor Supply Lawn Mower 46" cut. It seems to run pretty well (smooth and drives good). However I think I have found the reason I got it so cheap. After it warms up (5-10 min) it starts smoking white smoke by what appears to be the right cylinder area. While doing this is also makes a small kind of back fire type noise ; though its not to loud and only happens every 10-20 seconds. I went ahead and changed the oil and cleaned out the fuel systems and installed a new fuel filter. The mower was sitting up about a year (owner passed away and it set after that).

Seem like a headgasket; bad rings? Maybe something (carbon built up) broke off in the carb?

Thanks again.

/ TSC Huskee (MTD) B&S smoking on right cylinder. #2  
Leaking head gasket, leaking valve cover gasket, possibly needs valve adjustment are all possibilities.

/ TSC Huskee (MTD) B&S smoking on right cylinder. #3  
ONE QUESTION FOR YOU IS IT LIQUID COOLED? DONT SOUND LIKE A BRIGGS BEING LIQUID COOLED BUT ITS POSSIBLE.IF NOT LIQUID COOLED CHECK FOR WATER IN GAS.

/ TSC Huskee (MTD) B&S smoking on right cylinder. #4  
The backfire popping you hear is probably the exhaust valve that is not seating correctly. It will pop through the carb if it is the intake valve. If it has overhead valves you can see if the valve stem moves freely and if it does the seat is probably carbon fouled. Put the stem in a cordless drill and spin it, not too fast and pull out gently on the valve so you put pressure on the seat. Most times this will remove carbon or debris and allow the valve enough surface to seat itself. If this solves the issue it could borrowed time or last forever.