MTD 1846 new to me, have questions

/ MTD 1846 new to me, have questions #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
Hi all, I just stole (bought cheap) a MTD 1846 with bagger, 18 hp v-twin, CI Briggs. It runs great but won't move, it seems the high/low range box is stuck in neutral. I'm wondering if there is a common glitch or maybe a belt? If I can't get it to move easily then I will just use the engine for my log splitter project.
thanks in advance,
dave

ps; it says it's a "pro" model if that helps.
It has front and rear wheel weights too.

/ MTD 1846 new to me, have questions
well I've been searching here and google and have found that maybe the variable speed pulley is stuck or it will need a new belt.
I have an older friend that knows his way around riders coming over tomorrow to have a look see.

Well I took the varriator off and cleaned the pulleys today and it moves, put the mower deck back on and mowed the back lawn. I am going to order new belts for the drive system and maybe a new varriator if they aren't too pricey.

/ MTD 1846 new to me, have questions #4  
Belts are you correct answer. Your clutch pedal must be depressed in order to move from For H to Rev or For L. I did the same thing and it worked much better for years but now mine wont drive in 4? or higher under any kind of load. It's time for me to buy new belts. FYI- even with new belts (but less likely) the sheaves can miss the rpms and cause the pedal to come all the way up and the tractor will appear stuck. To correct this push the pedal all the way down and switch to the lowest speed (either range) and let up on the pedal or pull it back.

Kind of forgot about this thread since the snow came. I did end up getting new belts and the thing runs and mows like a champ! I did fall clean up at my moms, mulched then bagged it. She said her lawn never looked as good.
Now my thought is to turn it into a front forklift! LOL I don't need it to mow my small lawn but my mom has about 2 acres.
thanks,
dave