new drive belt clutch wont disengage

/ new drive belt clutch wont disengage #1  

rick5053

Tractor
huskee 13ar608p731
after changing drive belt i took a ride and it was fine for about 50 ft when stopped it engaged itself and brake would not stop mower had to turn off key. put it in neutral started mower put it in gear and off it went could not stop it.

/ new drive belt clutch wont disengage #2  
Possibly the linkage that disengages the belt, drive came off.

/ new drive belt clutch wont disengage
thanks 4 the responce i have looked it over looks ok .i can take the belt off the pullys reinstall and works fine again about 50 ft then starts pulling itself where nothing will stop it but turning off the key. this mower is 11 yrs old and i replaced the belt before with no problem. got me stressed i can usually figure things out the rear pully is like a syntrifical pulley that isnt releasing once it is running. thank u

/ new drive belt clutch wont disengage #4  
If this the the gear drive with the two belt system, the variable pulley could be sticky causing it to grab the belt. sometimes just replacing one of the two belts can throw off the symmetrical setup and cause problems, but usually causes slippage not grabbing.

yes i only replaced the big drive belt the other belt looks fine. that is what didnt make since it worked fine till i replaced one belt. i sometimes cut corners when i should have done both. i will try the other belt sure thank your input

i now have changed both belts.when i boughtthe drive belt part 754-0467 at tsc they didnt have this number. the guys there croosed the number to a huskee brand belt 5/8 by90in. i just looked this part number up and is 5/8 by 90 1/2. could a 1/2 in cause me this problem. failed to say changed the other belt and same problem.

/ new drive belt clutch wont disengage #7  
Could be an issue. The biggest issue sometimes, is that standard off the shelf belts sometimes has a different cut angle on the belt which can cause problems, as well as a different width. Just because the cross says it is a 5/8 x whatever doesn't mean that the OEM is 5/8 by whatever.

the belt they sold me for that number is a huskee brand that is blue in color with kevlar in it at 5/8 in by 90. i found an mtd belt on computer 754-0467 size they gave is 5/8 by 91 1/2. that sure seems like a big differencein the size there selling at tsc. the belt seems to be wedging in the pulley after driven a short distance. i get under tractor and belt is somewhat tight till i pull on it it'll free up. then i can again drive a distance where it is fine then off it goes without pushing a thing.thank you for trying to help. i have a feeling i'll be changing the drive belt sounds like its the issue. i will be talking with the folks that sold me the belt.

/ new drive belt clutch wont disengage #9  
People don't know that a 5/8 by 90 belt actually measures 89 1/2 inch long. A crossover for a MTD belt will say 5/8 wide but MTD uses a lot of 21/32 width

randy you helped me figure this out. yesterday i went to tsc and found out they had gave me the wrong belt. they gave me a new belt and a 50.00 gift card for my trouble. put a belt that said a variable speed drive belt on last night wife mowed yard today. these mowers will not run right with wrong belt. it was a dangerous situation till i new how to stop the mower when it was'nt right. had my wife hopped on there she possible could have been injured. thanx again